ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#65226 04/29/06 10:51 AM
K
kdal Offline OP
What are some of the problems or complaints that you have experienced with Dewalt.

I have several Dewalt tools and thought I was buying the good stuff.
Not the best but good.
Most industrial jobs I have worked used Millwaukee and I know there industrial grade tools are really tuff but I can't afford that grade just yet.
I have two Dewalt 1/2" hammer drills that have developed problems.
The problem with one is that when you hold the chuck and run the drill to chuck the bit before tightening with the key, it just spins. Not tighten. I have to use the key all the way. Like the first and second part of the chuck have seperated.
The other is almost new and never been abused. It wont go in gear. Like it's stuck between hammer and drill. Just grinds.

#65227 04/29/06 11:01 AM
M
I also have trouble with my 18V drill getting stuck on hammer but not in between.

This only happens once in a while and it always fixes itself. Other than this one problem I have had no problem withmy DeWalt stuff.

I can't tell you when the last time was that I used a keyed chuck. [Linked Image]

Brian

#65228 04/29/06 11:29 AM
W
I too am very unhappy with my Dewalt tools - in my case it's the cordless set. I bought the XRP (supposed to be heavier duty) 18 volt 4 piece kit in January of 05. My drill/hammer has locked up twice in hammer mode (I won't use that mode any more). I had a battery go bad after 4 months (replaced under warranty, but I only got a regular 18 volt, not the supposed "better" XRP model. My recipro saw's motor sheared the skimpy plastic brush holders off (fixed under warranty, but still a pain). What really ticks me off is how Dewalt put the outdated and worthless recipro saw in my set. The dealer told me my saw was discontinued in September of 02, and I bought my set in Jan of 05. The dealer wanted proof of my date of purchase, which I had - he just shook his head. The recipro saw is absolutely worthless, no power at all - I'm sure it was sitting in a warehouse and they got rid of them by putting them into the kits. On the plus side at least the flashlight works.
What I am very happy about is my corded Milwaukee hammer drill. The thing is awesome! Power up the wazoo, and also can be used as a regular drill - which is what I use it for mostly - it flies! It won't compare to a Hilti, but I only do resi work so I can't justify a Hilti.
Two co-workers have Ridgid sets, and I'm pretty impressed with Ridgid, plus the lifetime warranty including the batteries - and any problems have had complete kits replaced through Home Depot.
Thanks for the chance to vent!

#65229 04/29/06 01:16 PM
Don't know this as 100% fact, but:
Heard from a Dewalt 'factory store' tech that there are a few 'grades' of DeW tools.

One 'grade' is available exclusivley from the big orange box store (HD in the model/serial # area of tag)

I've used B&D (Black&Decker cordless prior to DeW. B&D rarely gave a problem, unless it was abuse or end-of-life. B&D went to DeW brand.

The DeW cordless drills that I/we have are relatively trouble free, again excluding abuse. The 'factory store' closed down recently here on Rt 22 Watchung.

BTW, ALL DeW was purchased either at the 'factory store', or thru WW Grainger. I bought 1 14.4 cordless drill at the orange store, and that died within 30 days. 'Factory store' guy replaced it with a "Rebuilt" which is trouble free after 2 years.

John

John
#65230 04/29/06 02:35 PM
C
I'll echo HotLine1's comments. (lower quality at the Big Box stores).

I had a DeWalt 9.6v cordless drill/driver for many years.
I hung all the rock in a basement I finished for my parent's - no problem.
I laid a new sub-floor for my MIL - no problem.
Used it on countless electrical jobs - no problem.
Problems started last year when I tried using it to hang rock at my own house...just wasn't strong enough...possible because the original batteries have been charged several thousand times [Linked Image] Remember, I had this drill for many years (since the early to mid 90's BEFORE a 12v was even on the market). This drill was purchased at a "hardware" store (http://www.awmeyer.com/ AW Meyer, Ridgefield, NJ).

Now I have recently bought a 14.4v from Amazon. It is a hammer/drill/driver variety and I use for everything - sheetrocking, decks, floors..even electrical work [Linked Image] . I had this one for 2 - 3 years now and no problems.

So the question I ask of you is:
Where did you buy yours?

HotLine1,
did they really shut that store down on Rt. 22? I used to live in Berkeley Heights and bought some drill bits and stuff from that store.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#65231 04/29/06 03:10 PM
J
If you are interested DeWalt service centers can rebuild your tools for $99. I just had a 18v hammer drill that I found along the road rebuilt, even put a new housing on it so it looks brand new too.

#65232 04/29/06 04:07 PM
E
e57 Offline
I have mentioned these things before in past threads. All cordless tools are inherently light to medium duty, although they have a capacity that would suggest a heavier duty tool.

These are some of the limitations I have found with cordless tools:
  • Cordless Hammer-drills being made for occassional small holes in hammer mode, say 1/4" anchors.....*
    (Larger holes, or all day use will self-destruct any cordless model, break out a build for purpose corded tool.)
  • Limitations in the very nature of use of batteries - Voltage goes down, amperage goes up - destroying the batteries and over-heating the motors and brush contacts. Some of us old enough to remember the first cordless models that had battery memory got the bad habit for todays non-memory batteries of draining the battery out for a new charge. That destroys the batteries at an early age. With todays batteries, at the first sign of a drop in performance, put that baby on a charger - they'll last much longer!
  • They are built with inherently light wieght designs to compansate for the wieght of the battery. Think about it... a corded, and a cordless saws-all wiegh about the same, on the cordless model 30 - 40% of the wieght is a battery. [Linked Image] *A hammer drill has a plastic gear case containing a smaller metal slug for the hammer, a corded one would have a metal case, with a much larger metal slug as the hammer.
  • On the same note as above, some tools have had a much longer time to get fully developed into stable dependable designs. Impact guns, drills (the first items to goes cordless) have developed into reliable designs. Saws-alls, circular saws, grinders requiring higher RPM, higher amperage motors have not.
  • Many, ARE made for the DYI'er. And it does take a little bit of examination to recongnize the difference.... And, often you get what you pay for.
  • They want you to get hooked on the "disposables" of what is a system of tool, and "Battery" IMO. All of the batteries are specific to Brand, and most are specific to voltage. Everytime you go up in voltage, that means a new charger, and your other tools can't interchange batteries. Do they last any longer? Not really, IMO.

That said, WE on this forum, have an advantage to all the other trades... We can use our corless tools to hook up some site power for all the heavier duty tools we can muster. Bandsaws, saws-alls, hole hogs, right-angles, hammer-drills, roto-hammers you name it..... Thats the first thing I do!

I have a 5 year old makita impact that I dont use for the fact that I have to set up a seperate chager - it lives in my basement waiting for a garage sale. I got hooked on 14.4 Dewalts early on ('95) with an abused drill I still have and still works, you have to tape the battery in place. But it a great spare for the guy who leaves his stuff at another job. It has been dropped from ladders, scaffolding, replaced brushes, works just fine. [Linked Image from markhellerelectric.com]
And since then picked up an impact, that I use all day every day for almost 2 years (starting to show its age after sever use), a hammer drill that rarely gets used in that mode of the same age. A 4 year old saws-all that only gets used to hook up services and temp power so I can use my 12 year old Porter cable saws-all, or Milwaukee band saw. And 2 other drills that live in my basement for home use. Both of which are "lost and found items". I "lost" them in other peoples tool boxes until I "found" them weeks later (Different subject) - but in the mean time needed replacements, and bought the ones above. So all told I have 4 drills, one saws-all, and one impact, batteries for all,3 chargers, all in 14.4 dewalt in varying states of abuse, and age, but still useable.

Just got another Impact and hammer drill (At a good price), and thinking of having a garage sale for the older stuff.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 04-29-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#65233 04/29/06 05:31 PM
Celtic:
YES, Rt 22 store is 'gone'. Used to be B&D, then went to DeW; same crew. It went 'downhill'; had a BIG bunch of HO stuff, & nothing much for contractors.

Crew used to even repair/rebuild my Bosch corded stuff. Now, Bosch is in S.Plfld.

Like E57 said, ya get what ya pay for.

John

John
#65234 04/29/06 08:56 PM
C
...had a BIG bunch of HO stuff, & nothing much for contractors.

Yea, it was a bit disappointing when I was there last...I mean, if all I walk out with is some $5.00 items - somethings wrong with your store...LOL

When I hit the Redwing store further East, I usually go in looking to get boots resoled - but walk out a new pair of boots (you want I should drive in my socks?)or two, socks, and anything else they have "on sale"...leaving them with $200 - $300. Now that's a good store [Linked Image]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#65235 04/29/06 09:07 PM
R
I have about 20 DeWalt cordless tools, my helpers abuse them horribly, I bought all of them at HD, had to have one cordless sawzall repaired for a broken bearing. So far I'm happy with the tools...

But the Radio sux! I'm on my 4th DeWalt jobsite radio, one radio would change stations all by itself, one the charger quit, the other the radio quit. The charger interferes with the radio reception on all of them!

I like the Bosch radio, it doubles as a spider box for extension cords.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard