ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I'm taking over a job that someone else started and had a question about jumping a GEC from one main disconnect panel to another main disconnect panel. Both panels are 200 amps each and are side by side. As it is now, the one GEC that comes from the water main is terminated in one panel, and jumped out to the other panel. Something tells me this wrong and that the GEC should be "tapped" before entering either of the panels. I'm not sure wich article applies here. Any help would be appreciated.

R
250.64(C) requires a continuous (unspliced) GEC unless spliced by an irreversible compression connector.
250.64(D) pemits taps to a GEC where multiple service enclosures are installed.

If you enter the first enclosure and then run a jumper to the second one, it could be argued that the GEC to the second one is not continuous because it is "extended" (to the second panel) without the use of an irreversible comnpression connector as required by 250.64(C).
On the other hand, entering the first enclosure with #2, then jumping to the 2nd enclosure with #4, seems no different than tapping onto a #4 with a mechanical connector, which is acceptable for the tap (but not a splice)
It seems easier to just run an appropriately sized GEC (#2) beneath or above each enclosure and tap on a #4 to each ground buss.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-12-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-13-2006).]

S
Thank you, Redsy! That's exactly what I thought was the right thing to do, but I needed to know the article I was thinking of. I was looking past 250.66 for what I needed. The #4 copper to the water meter also needs to be upgraded to the appropriate size for the 300 amp feed at the meter pan. Thaks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard