ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BizMan Offline OP
Anyone registered with servicemagic.com to get more business? I haven't had any job offers come thru yet and am beginning to wonder if anyone else has had any luck with this referral service? Any info is appreciated.

R
I think someone mentioned this in a previous post. It didn't sound too promising. What are the specifics for membership?

Bizman,

I was looking at this company, as well as others to see if they would be worth recommending to the membership and visitors here. Is there any cost to join? What is the commission that the contractor has to pay for job referrals and does that include going on estimates?

Bill

Bill
B
BizMan Offline OP
Membership is $99.00 a year and commisions range from 8-33 dollars depending on the size of contract referred to your business. Along with annual fee, you have to submit proof of insurance and electrical contractors license number. If you want to be certified (they just put a stamp of approval on your listing) then you have to provide three credit references and have at least three good comments from ServiceMagic customers. It's been almost two weeks now and I have yet to get a referral from them. Kinda wondering what's going on.

B
Being a homeowner, I tried servicemagic and got very poor results.

The contractors that were listed for my inquiry never followed up w/me.

Also, when I sent a complaint in to service magic, it was ignored.

You're better off using that $99 for flyers or something else.

So if a homeowner won't recommend it...

B
BizMan Offline OP
Interesting info Bazooka, thanks. I can't imagine why any electrical contractor would jump through all the hoops with SM to get more business and then ignore the referrals. You must be in a busy area of the country where contractors can be very picky about the jobs they take on.

Bizman,

I don't think that you should be discouraged after only 2 weeks, but it would be interesting to see how it works out for you.

Some of the other Referral sevices had no membership fee at the time when I was looking, but the commission fees paid to them could run much higher (I'm thinking thousands). I really didn't like that idea. It sounded like the Consumer was paying a higher price and not getting much more out of the bargain. Because it seems to me that they could perform the same "pre-screening process" with a call to the local dept of Consumer Affairs. I always recommend that consumers check credentials and that someone with nothing to hide will be happy to provide any information or references they are asked for.

Does Service Magic have some sort of Customer satisfaction guarantee? I'm just curious if they are willing to make good if one of 'their' contractors doesn't.

Bill

Bill
B
BizMan Offline OP
Bill,

They do say they will give unhappy customers up to $500.00 in additional labor to "make the job right". You are right in saying 2 weeks may not be sufficient time to gauge the effectiveness of this service. I was just wondering if anyone (electrical contractors) had any experience with this outfit.We get a great response from local advertising and from our yellow pages ad...this was just another way I wanted to reach potential customers.

BizMan,

So, they are getting some sort of guarantee, that's good. As far as this service goes and others like it I think that you cannot compare it directly to responses from a printed ad yet. Maybe a couple of more years from now will be much different.

I think that you have to look at what you are spending on this service just like advertising. After 2 weeks you've spent $4 in advertising. That same 2 weeks could easily cost $200 in the telephone book. So, if you get about 1/50th of the calls you're even.

Bill

Bill
B
BizMan Offline OP
Bill,

Yes the math speaks for itself. Out of my total marketing budget it is a small drop in the big bucket! The other positive is one decent job in the year will pay for the service 20 times over!

BizMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard