ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64053 03/29/06 11:02 PM
C
Cinner Offline OP
Does anyone know of a Square D type circuit breaker that is a side by side?....basically letting you put 2 of 15 amp breakers where usually only 1 is placed. Are they called a particular name?

B
Homeline or QO? New Homeline twins are available. As far as QO, I've seen some old twins that are side by side rather than stacked, don't know if they are still made. Maybe someone else will chime in.

M
they make QO tandems as well. I don't know if they are available in canada or not.

S
Yes, the QO tandems are available in Canada.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
S
QO tandems can be had in both Class CTL and non-Class CTL versions. They aren't side-by-side, though--they're in a tandem arrangement.

M
I saw a tandem 14 sq-d in a bolt on panel in a resturant the other day. I was a bit suprised. I have never seen tandems in a bolt on before. Is this common? Or did somebody jury rig here. I didn't remove the panel cover, as I was there to look at something else.

C
Square D Panelboards accept both QOB (bolt on) and QO (plug on) breakers. I have been told that they recommend using QO breakers instead of QOB when adding additional breakers in the field. I can pretty much guarantee that the panelboard was not listed for tandem breakers and I’m sure the breaker used was clearly marked non-CTL for replacement use only.

BigB, what new Homline tandem breakers are you referring to? HOMT breakers in 15 and 20 amp have been available since the beginning of Homeline. They later added the larger quad breakers (30-50).

Curt

Curt Swartz
L
Here in the US - Home depot does carry qo tandum breakers that are the side by side set up. They two different types for both QO panels and CH.
I'm not sure about Canada though.

R
There are even Quad breakers in Homeline. See the links below for info on Homeline and QO lines.
http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/06/17306009.html

http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/06/17306010.html

Roger

J
JBD Offline
The old Square D tandem breakers were front-to-back. The tandems since the 80's have been side-by-side. The new design gives the 2 pole devices the appearance of a quad breaker, but it is really (1) 2pole + (2) 1poles.

All UL Listed panels built since the 60's are CTL. So non-CTL breakers should only be installed in panels that are over 40 years old that have wiring diagrams showing which spaces are designed for tandem circuits.

My personal belief is that non-CTL tandem breakers should go the way of the old delta breakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard