ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#63961 03/28/06 08:06 AM
V
velect Offline OP
I have to do career day at the local Junior High. Any suggestions for demonstrations

#63962 03/28/06 11:27 AM
Cat Servant
Visit the faculty lounge. Wait for someone to infer that tradesmen are tose not good enough to go to college.
Visit the math classes. Wait for a teacher to say "you'll never need this after the test."

Then humiliate the dickens out of these idiots- preferable in full view of the entire student body!

#63963 03/28/06 02:10 PM
G
My daughter's father in law is a retired college professor. He says the main objective of college is to insure the future employment of college professors.
Kids go there for 4 or 5 years, spend way up into 6 figures of their parents money and leave with virtually no marketable job skill.
They only get preferential treatment in hiring by managers who fell for the same scam and perpetuate the same fraud.
The navy taught me about 4 years worth of electrical engineering in 18 weeks. I didn't get much art appreciation or modern european literature but we did get some PE credits [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
#63964 03/28/06 06:28 PM
R
Ron Offline
Bring in some samples. A small piece of 500kCMIL conductor, a receptacle, a switch, a safety switch, a medium voltage fuse, stuff like that is cool to pass around.

To the other previous posters, I hope the students in my physics classes that I teach as an adjunct professor, disagree with your statements. I realize you are generalizing, but overall, I think your statements are incorrect.

Ron
#63965 03/29/06 10:07 AM
M
Bring in some sticks of 1" EMT and a bender and see if anyone can do a complete 90.

Bring in some of your cool tools that arent so "run of the mill" and any electrical devices that have blown up for display. Take in your code book, and refrence books (i.e. Ugly's, Soares, pocket ref) and show that there is a bunch of math involved too. Have a few calc the wire fill on a few different "pulls". Show a wiggy and rub it quickly on your arm hair to show that you are indeed "live".

You'll be a big hit (and they'll be talking about you for the next week) if you give lots of stuff to touch, and throw in a healthy dash of competition. Give away a wire nut to everyone that attends... It may be small, but they love it and you'll see a million new uses for a nut.

Above all, have fun!!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Wescoatt (edited 03-29-2006).]

Mike Wescoatt

Link Copied to Clipboard