ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#63895 04/01/06 09:17 PM
H
I might as well pipe in. I started out as a burg/fire alarm installer back in 1974-1975. Then I worked for an EC here in NJ for 8 years or so, got my state NJ lic. 7257. Went in my own business for 15 years. ( 1984-1999 ) I had at the peak of my career 7 employees and 4 trucks. We did Res. and com. work. Mostly maintenc jobs. We worked for a lot of schools, rest., bus, and some GC contractors. The trouble with maintence work is that they want you now. NOT later but NOW! I lost many Sat., Sun., and Holidays, trying to get things to work. (When the supply house was closed!)
I got my electrical inspectors lic. ( here in NJ it is ICS, HHS, sub code offical and construction offical ) lic. in 1995. I am now a working AHJ here in NJ since 1998. I work for 4 different towns at the moment.

#63896 04/01/06 09:29 PM
H
GEES,

You guys are quick to answer posts here! By the time I finished writing my post, there were like 6-7 more answers. ( SOAP BOX PLEASE!)
I have said this more than once and I will be happy to repeat it each and every week for the rest of my life. This board is GREAT!!! We don't care how much you know, think you know, or want to know. This board is very nice, happy to answer questions, talk freely, share info, share jokes, ( we pick on one another once in awhile)but in general, we don't flame anyone. There is no dumb question, we can all learn from one another, the newbies have things to offer as well as the vets that have been here for years. I think it was Codewarrior that was concern being a newbie, but he nor anyone else should feel intimidated by this board. We are all here to help one another and offer our advice. I tell all the EC's I work with to stop by here and ask questions. I will get down from my soap box now. Sorry about that, I may not get here as often as I like, but I still look forward to stopping by to visit old friends.

#63897 04/02/06 10:13 AM
T
I started my own low voltage shop in my basement in 85 working for a family owned corporation. They became one of the biggest security providers for large store chains in the US. I have helped configure and troubleshoot thousands of custom design Burg, fire and CCTV assemblies over the years. They would provide a schematic to me and many times I would have the prototype design built, debugged and shipped the same day. That was one of the ways they "trumped" their competition. In 99 one of their best engineers who was leaving the company "stole me away" to work for another large corporation building access control panels for industrial applications. My tiny company (still in my basement!) was key in helping them secure four of some of the biggest fortune 500 companies around. Then 1 year later they said "thank you" and bought an assembly company local to them with about 100 employees. Oh well. Lesson learned: (Contracts are good!) I then went out on my own with my Limited power and contractors license to find out how hard it is to sell security equipment -cold- without a sales team. To put it simply, unless someone had just been burglarized, it was a very hard sell. In 02, I decided to start seriously focusing on the biggest dream I've ever had - To become a certified licensed electrician. Since the age of 5 this electrical stuff has held me spellbound. I am now continuing into my second year of apprenticeship with a small residential/commercial contractor. I would have had my Journeymans license years ago if it were not for a misinformed individual in my past telling me how much advanced math was involved with the trade. (my weakness in school...) There is of course math to be learned but, I've found out it's not as bad as I had been told. This site is golden. After "lurking" here for years, I can say that I have (almost) learned more here than I have working with the union journeyman they placed me with. MUCH to my surprize, I have actually taught him some things. So - a heartfelt, sincere "Thank you" is due to all who have made this site possible. J

#63898 04/02/06 04:09 PM
Y
Wasn't Gonna but aaaa What the Heck
Master 9 States ,Journeyman 1. Of thoses States. Instructor 3, Inspectors License 2,
42 years in the trade in all fields from wiring houses to multi million dollar Industral and Commerical. Still Learning every day. Enjoy this forum very much.

#63899 04/03/06 04:59 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
And who isn't learning here?.
Shame on you Bill, making us learn so much!. [Linked Image]

#63900 04/04/06 11:40 PM
J
OK, please don't think I fell into the wrong forum...
I worked for an EC in the late 70's during HS and breaks from engineering and tech school.
1980: ASET anf FCC 1st Class Radio Telephone license. A short stint at the world's oldest commercial radio station (KDKA).
Another short stint building and repairing burglar alarms. Computer field service engineer for 16-bit minis and peripherals, later Depot Manager. Cable design engineer. Broadcast engineer, later Maintenance Supervisor WCLQ-->WQHS-TV. We were the first commercial stereo station in Ohio, pulling it off for under 8 grand by modifying an old FM modulator. Systems Engineer at EDR/Beachwood Studios. I got to be part of the design/build team on the studio, post-production, & computer graphics facility. Chief Engineer WPTT-TV. Video Engineer. Field Service Engineer on LPTV (1,5,10KW) transmitters and broadcast modulators and exciters. Finally, I'm working on my 13th year as a Testing Engineer for the CTA. I'm pretty sure that I've forgotten more than I ever learned in all those old jobs. Now, I know nothing but have great confidence.
Joe

#63901 04/27/06 04:21 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I really thought I was an idiot posting this thread in the first place.
In hind-sight there are a few people that never replied to this thread that are making a bit of noise these days.
Please submit your quals, if you are so endowed.

#63902 04/27/06 05:41 AM
M
Dual Trade Instrument tech and now electrician, licensed contractor Sth Australia, not running own business at the moment but holding the license is easier than getting it back. mostly industrial, mining, oxygen plants, steel making, petroleum, and analytical instruments.

#63903 04/27/06 07:17 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Mash,
It wasn't you mate.
However, when I finished my time as an Electrician, I wanted to be an Instrumentation Tech, it used to be a Trade in itself here in New Zealand.
I was glad I'd already done the Line Mechanics apprenticeship, something to carry on with. [Linked Image]

#63904 04/27/06 08:12 AM
BTW, moot point, an apprenticeship is not a qualification, it goes under 'experience'. Even the complete nincompoops [present company excepted, of course!] get their papers, as long as they clock in regularly for x years.

hnd, hnc, c of guilds, Diplomas, degrees are qualifications, as they carry a pass mark.

And all totally useless if you are no longer actively engaged in the metier IMHO. I am not an Engineer any more, thank God.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard