ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
In my case, it was from not realizing that the lightning strike had caused a flashover in a 0-1000VDC transducer, over to the 0-1mA side. The analog point was elevated to 600 VDC.
Joe

Ouch!! That would hurt.

Let me ask a related question here. When changing out receptacles or switches around our own homes, how many of us bother to turn off the circuit(s)?

I'll admit that I generally don't, unless I see that the wiring inside the box is unusually ugly or dificult to work with.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
T
Every time Radar (I'm a residential EC).

Dave

Cat Servant
I'd like to disagree....in a very real sense, we DON'T get shocked- at least, not as often as you might expect.
Look at the NIOSH or OSHA statistics....the vast majority of electrical injuries happen to folks who had no business whatever working on the electric! For that matter, most of them also involve "safe" 120v, 20 amp circuits, or smaller.

When it comes to our trade, sure, complacency plays a part. So does "bare minimum code compliant work."
Panel directories often have lables that are of limited use, being blank, out of date, un-readable, or vague. There is often enough electronic noise in the panel to severely impair the use of any "toner" I've used. Heck, sometimes you can't even be sure which pane the circuit is in!
Then there is the matter of your shutting off the power causing other unsafe conditions. Like, say, plunging the entire room into darkness. Sure, YOU might have a flashlight....but the secretaries will walk into your ladder on the way to the coffeepot!
Add multiple circuits in the box, and shared neutrals to the mix... and you learn to work as if everything really is "live"..even after we've turned it off.

I don't mean to sound callous...but when you choose your trade, you choose your injuries. A fireman gets burned, a butcher get cut...and an electrician gets zapped, or falls off a ladder. Recognise that..and work to improve the odds!

S
iwire you sumed it all up.

G
I got a little "buzz" the other day that shocked me. I was on a (Gorilla) fiberglass ladder and not really touching anything when I bumped a wire in an octagon box that bit me. It didn't pull enough current to trip a GFCI (tested OK later) but it got my attention. I am still not sure of the fault path but it was real.

Greg Fretwell
S
Never leave a pager or cell phone on vibe when working hot.They tend to go off the minute you are tying something in.The real question is who uses mats gloves insulated tools etc.I know my allen's have a custom taped job on them.I for one can't work in gloves so I just use a mat when I need too and use the leathers.

I
and that is why electricians get shocked

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Yep Yep Yep I get shocked working on light circuits more than anything.Tying in breakers wires etc never had a problem.Of course I am new to the trade 18yrs ago.I do have enough sense to eye protection though.I just don't like the rubbers.I know I am not alone either.I will wear them when I feel it is absolutely necessary.Anymore with the workermens comp insurance lawyers etc.I almost de-energize a lot more than ever before.Of course waitng for the power company to remove a meter or cut loose an overhead drop I tend to just do it.Time is money right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard