I'd like to disagree....in a very real sense, we DON'T get shocked- at least, not as often as you might expect.
Look at the NIOSH or OSHA statistics....the vast majority of electrical injuries happen to folks who had no business whatever working on the electric! For that matter, most of them also involve "safe" 120v, 20 amp circuits, or smaller.
When it comes to our trade, sure, complacency plays a part. So does "bare minimum code compliant work."
Panel directories often have lables that are of limited use, being blank, out of date, un-readable, or vague. There is often enough electronic noise in the panel to severely impair the use of any "toner" I've used. Heck, sometimes you can't even be sure which pane the circuit is in!
Then there is the matter of your shutting off the power causing other unsafe conditions. Like, say, plunging the entire room into darkness. Sure, YOU might have a flashlight....but the secretaries will walk into your ladder on the way to the coffeepot!
Add multiple circuits in the box, and shared neutrals to the mix... and you learn to work as if everything really is "live"..even after we've turned it off.
I don't mean to sound callous...but when you choose your trade, you choose your injuries. A fireman gets burned, a butcher get cut...and an electrician gets zapped, or falls off a ladder. Recognise that..and work to improve the odds!