ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
From the descripton it sure sounds like a good hire.
As far as I am concerned you should be able to hire or fire anyone at any time for any reason you see fit if you are the owner of a business.

Cat Servant
I think most folks get into the trade too young!

For me, the perfect 'time line' would be someone who:
Has worked some construction and maintenance jobs, and thus has some idea as to how a job is run, and a basic knowledge of a few other trades (like patching drywall);
Has some experience away from home, so he understand how the world works, and isn't only focused on tonights' party;
Has had some sort of job where the pay/success depended upon people skills, making the customer happy, and being self-motivated; and,
Has shown a determination to learn something after leaving high school.

Add all this up, and chances are you're looking at someone on the far side of thirty, and with some time in the service!

Our trade relies less upon brute strength and agility- and more upon maturity and judgement- than most other trades.

L
LK Offline
Our best hires, were all 40 plus.

B
One of the biggest problems I've seen with this and it happens almost every time(really) is that older people have a real hard time taking direction from a younger person. Especially if its a like 20s something foreman or on-site manager. Usually it becomes a real struggle lead this person, not alway just most of the time.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
S
Hi gang Steve here. As a 46 year old 3rd year apprentice ill say anyone over 40 give them a shot. I always wanted to do electrical work even in the navy as a gunnersmate we did some electrical work.When the machine shop i was in closed I knew it was time for a change. Now with 4200 hours and 300 hours of code class my boss wont let me go for nothing. Hes even 13 years younger than me. Give them a shot,might just be the right person your looking for

S
I wouldn't hold his youth against him. [Linked Image]

M
Give the kid a break and hire him. And you will get your time. If you don't think its coming just remember that it wasn't long ago that your mommy was wiping up your behind. And it won't be long before you are forty also. Unless you are such a whippersnapper that you walk right in front of a bus.
The thing you said is he is in great shape and mechanically inclined, so what is the problem junior? Has he got wrinkles?. Did he loose some hair? Give him a job and treat him with respect.

P
If he's happy with the pay and suitable for the job in all other respects, then why not?

(Speaking as somebody who just hit 40 a couple of weeks ago..... [Linked Image] )

I agree with the above, if his attitude is right it sounds like he's got some good qualifications.

(Happy Birthday Paul!)
[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
R
Happy belated birthday Paul.

Roger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard