ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#633 02/16/01 06:37 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Ok, maybe that's not the best intro to a thread, you'll just have to imagine Jim Carey with a tool belt here..... [Linked Image]

We've all been on those service call where Johnny homeowner meets you at the door, Time Life book in hand. That's normal, no prob.

But there are always those few that stand out in the crowd, if only to inspire awe from the trade.

Case in point;

I answer a call for a malfunctioning switch, am greeted by a slightly agitated gent, who is sputering about "that hardware store guy" .

Apparently he asked what would be needed to install a switch in the wall,and he was sold a box, switch & plate.

He actually did a rather good job of it's installation, with one flaw....

guess it yet?..

No wire !

[Linked Image]

#634 02/16/01 07:47 PM
Broom Pusher and
That's the result of shopping at the Three Stooges Hardware Store [Linked Image]

Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Curly Howard - Licensed Electrical Engineers [Linked Image]

Love that story!! If I think of some that fall into this catagory, I will be sure to post! A great way to end the week, seeing some humorous stuff. [ROTFLMAO]

Scott "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#635 02/16/01 08:27 PM
Tom Offline
The stories I really like is where the guy at the home center sells them a standard 4" octogon box with a plain jane bar hanger to install... you guessed it, a paddle fan.

I also love it when I do an inspection on a service entrance & Henry Homeowner says " that's the way the guy at the lumber yard said to do it." I suppose Henry homeowner will go to a Dentist when he needs open heart surgery.

My first encounter with a home owner installed switch had the switch connected line to neutral. Owner couldn't understand why the breaker kept tripping.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#636 02/16/01 09:36 PM
T
I had an occasion where the homeowner tried to replace a three way switch,he came up to me all ashen faced to ask for help.I asked him what exactly what happened he said "I turned off the power took out the switch and when I put the butterknife on the screw it blew me across the room."That,is not the way I like to get business.

#637 02/17/01 12:17 AM
Sparky,

That is a good one! [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-16-2001).]

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard