ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GA76JW Offline OP
I installed some new can lights in my kitchen last September. 6 in total. I had one that was already over the sink area and added another over my counter area and 2 over an island and 3 over my stove area.

Looks really nice and alot better than the flourescent that was in the middle of the room to start.

Anway, my problem is this. Since that time I have gone thru 5 bulbs (lamps) for these. I had been putting in 65 Watt Philips Indoor bulbs (lamps). They are rated at 120V.

Now I checked the voltage at the first can light and it was 123.4V. and at the last can it is 122.9V. I know the actual voltage is a little higher than what the lamps are rated for and wondering if that is a big part of the problem.

So my question would be, should I spend some extra money and buy the 130V rated lamps, or are Philips bulbs just crap?

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Cat Servant
5 volts over the rated voltage will halve the life of a bulb- so yes, getting the 130 volt bulbs wil make a big difference.

The other factor is heat. Here, you will see a real difference between reflector-type bulbs and "standard" bulbs.

Assuming that there is no dimmer on the circuit- have you considered trying a compact fluorescent bulb. Again, asuming that you're not using a totally closed "shower" trim, heat ought not be a problem for them.

X
I second the fluorescents. I replaced all my incandescents with fluorescents, and they have been going for almost 2 years now.

E
Same here. Had two porch-type luminaires on the front of my garage with bulbs having to be replaced every few months (they are on all night every night for security) Switched them to compact fluorescents, saved energy, and one lasted six years, the other is going on seven.

Earl
G
GA76JW Offline OP
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to try the higher voltage bulbs first. I really don't care for the light given off from the compact flourescents, but if I have to I'll learn to live. As long as it means I don't have to pull a ladder out once a month.

Thanks again guys!!

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

T
I get a lot of complaints about Phillips. Try Sylvania instead.

Dave

R
SYLVANIA????!?!?!?!?!
ARRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry, just my opinion... Had a few too many Sylvania lamps not work, burn out prematurely or in one case with a " Q-250 PAR-38".. it EXPLODED...

I have been using G.E lamps lately wherever I can... never a problem..

A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 02-20-2006).]

A
A dimmer will make the bulbs last longer.

Tom

B
...Or in one case with a " Q-250 PAR-38" it EXPLODED.
I had a H/O ask me about some exploding bulbs once. The answer I came up with (and you lamp guru's might want to fact check this) is that a lot of incandescents have fuses to limit the fault current that flows through any arc between the filament supports. If this fuse fails to open properly, the energy released by the arc can cause the glass envelope to shatter.

-John

Are these lights ic rated? The reflector lamps mentioned are speced for this type of light. I have seen many were standard a lamps are used and the do not last . Check the rating for type a lamp I bet its like 50w.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard