ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sandro2 Offline OP
I just got my license and I have been working for someone and want to start to go off on my own. What is the going rate for residential wiring,service calls, etc..
City of Phila.

D
City of Philly?

You already know the competition you'll be dealing with, range from well established units to "side job" union guys, to hackers in station wagons with extension ladders strapped to the roof.
Going rate could be as low as $20/hr depending upon the job, and the location.
We stay away from city work because of all the crime, and that alone you have to factor in to your rate....1 guy to watch the truck, 1 to do the work...
I'd look at what niche area your after, ie..Main line area or SE philly, there would be a big difference in "going rates" in different areas...

All IMHO, mind you..

Good luck...

Dnk...

M
try these prices
www.affordableelectric.com

if you can make money at these rates, let me know how.

or try these instead www.ablegroup.net/info-electrical.html

After you use pricing like these for a while and can't seem to make money. Can't seem to grow. Hire good techs, buy new trucks, etc.

Do a search here or on google on how to determine your price. Forget going rate. Price for what you need to make money.

Take a look here: http://www.brandonelectricservice.com/testimonials2/

I don't know anything about this company. Don't know if they are good or bad. But I noticed that the two testimonial letters mentioned nothing about the price.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 02-19-2006).]

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 02-19-2006).]

S
sandro2 Offline OP
Thanks really helpful.
That is true about staying in suburbs.
Iknow what u mean about security for the truck. I can't tell u how nmuch time I waste just to check on my truck every so often

D
Sandro2, working in Philly is alot different from working in Nj, or the burbs for that matter. People are different, totaly....

If you want resonable advise, find someone who has done work in philly before, not some one who thinks they know how to make a buck there, big difference here...

I'll give you some names of guys, who are working there, and those who gave up working there, if you want.
Then take the good and the bad, and do your own thing..

Dnk...

A
I would avoid a cut and past of someone elces prices. I not saying it's a bad thing to know what others get. I'm saying you should figure you own prices. It's hard when you start out because you don't know all your costs of doing business.

I would say to ask what is OH costing for a 1 man show in the business area.

Also ask about efficency (booked hours) for a new start-up doing ? type of work. With past experiance of knowing how long a job can take it's just a matter of doing math. Also note that many tend to underestomate time. I think one reason is in your head you tend to think it's easy and will be done in no time. Then you don't factor in clean up, collecting, material runs, & drive time.

Tom

A
Below are some links that may help you in calculating what you will need to charge.
The first link has some books that are helpful. One book is titled "How Much Should I Charge". The second link is an online hourly rate calculator.
http://www.barebonesbiz.com/catalog.html http://www.masterplumbers.com/utilities/costcalc/

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 02-19-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard