ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Hello,
I started the process of getting into the IBEW apprenticeship program last March. I've gone through all the meetings, test and interview which was complete in August 05.

I was told they would make a decision in Feb 06. I just called and they said they will be pushing it back again til work picks up.

Is it that bad out there? I know in Indy we have some new projects I would think the IBEW would be part of (new colts stadium, new airport wing). I'm just concerned if I get in the work will not be steady enough to actually make a living.

I'm wanting at least 40 hours if not more.

Anyways....I scored a 93.5 so hopefully I will be at the top of the list.

Thanks

IndySteel

M
if you are looking for 40, you might be looking in the wrong place right now. There is a long wait in the NY/NJ area with 1000's of men on the bench.

For the near future, the unions will have trouble keeping everyone working. If you were already in and established with a company, you'd have a good shot at staying fairly steady.

Might not be a bad idea to look at some good merit shops. a good shop will offer many of the same things the union will, without the dues and a little steadier work situation.

good luck

G
Come to Florida, you can probably start the day you get here. Money is a little weak but there is plenty of work.

Greg Fretwell
C
Indy, don't give up, wait it out if you can. I have been in the IBEW for 25 years and have not missed any time in the last 23 years. The training you will get from the JATC is the best.

Charlie

R
I'm sorry, Charlie. The training opportunities might be the best, but I just left a 5th year apprentice close friend who told me about a chronic problem in his local regarding stealing the test answers.
Reputable open shop apprenticeship programs exist, and the bottom line is that the responsibility of obtaining the best education from any program lies with the apprentice himself.
Moderator, I apologize, and feel free to close this thread now.

C
No problem Redsy. A similar problem occured here several years ago with ABC. If you had the money you got the grades.

Charlie

C
Is it that bad out there?
Work is slow for electricans right NOW...but an awful lot of steel is going up. The Ironworkers hall's are walk throughs...electricans can't be far behind.

Come to Florida,
Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go.

...who told me about a chronic problem in his local regarding stealing the test answers.

It doesn't matter what school it is...some people will always look for the easy way out.

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 02-15-2006).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
L
"Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go."

It sounds like hes not been accepted yet, Ill be damned if I let anyone tell me where I can travel.

D
I'd tell them to get hosed too....

If I want to work, no-one would stop me....

Dnk...

X
I agree. Lot's of work here in Florida. I've also talked to people familiar with work in the Gulf Coast, New Orleans areas, and have been told they're begging for people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard