ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#61988 02/07/06 08:38 PM
H
hypress Offline OP
During the late 70's and through 80's Chrouse Hinds made fittings for broken conduit repair. They had extremely fine threads to screw on the unthreaded conduit and on one end and standard threads male or female depending on the application. They were hex shaped so they could be threaded on with a crescent wrench. I have looked for these fittings for several years and not been able to find them. Does anyone know of such a fitting by anouther manufacturer. PS I think theywere approved for hazardous locations. Set screw / threadless fittings will not work for me THANKS HYPRESS

C
...They had extremely fine threads to screw on the unthreaded conduit ....Set screw / threadless fittings will not work...

HUH?
Fine threads?

What kind of pipe are you talking about?
342.28 ~ IMC
344.28 ~ RMC

Both state:
Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (3/4-in. taper per foot) shall be used.

Don't get mixed up with pipe size/type and your threadless or compression fittings. For example, a 3/4" RMC will NOT accept a 3/4" EMT compression fitting....likewise, a 3/4" EMT will NOT accept a 3/4" threadless fitting.
Threadless and compression are two different animals.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
H
hypress Offline OP
The fitting cut its own threads as it was screwed on. It is for repair work.

C
The fitting cut its own threads as it was screwed on.

Really?
Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (3/4-in. taper per foot) shall be used.

I have never heard of a fitting that self threads a fine thread - that is not to say it never existed.

Contact CH and see what they have to say.
http://www.crouse-hinds.com/contact.cfm

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
V
Appleton makes a repair union you describe For rigid conduit. I have used them often for repairs and they work good. Tip: oil the pipe often it is a workout threading it on. Rod

T
tkb Offline
These are for rigid conduit.
I believe they are called "thread makers".
I have used them about 10 years ago.

G
I've recommended an Appleton product when confronted with this type of a situation and it always worked out well. They also make a setscrew version, but I'm not sold on the integrity of the ground path when the entire rest of the run consists of threaded fittings.
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/Threadless.pdf

Ghost307
W
I've repaired alot of broken 3/4 rigid by using a rigid pipe die from a hand threader, turning it with an offset pipe wrench. I've done it with wires in it, use a rat tail file to take any burrs out. It might not be the ideal solution but it worked

G
...or you could thread the ends like Walrus says and use one of these http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/Bolt-On.pdf

You can take the bolt and spacer out and slide it (carefully, please) over the wires; then reassamemble the fitting and you're good to go.

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard