ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
NORCAL Offline OP
I have a question,why not provide homes with 3 phase power? With energy conservation being a "hot subject" it seems to be a tremendous waste to have single phase air conditioning equipment in most of the new homes constructed.

One word: MONEY [Linked Image]

From the POCO end: Extra transformers, 4-wire service drops, three-phase metering, and in a lot (most?) of the residential areas, lack of three-phase primarys. (And let's not get into the whole open-delta thing, please.)

From the homebuilder's end: Increased cost for the 3-phase panel and main breakers. Increased cost to wire up the appliances.

But it would be more efficient, agreed.

Stupid should be painful.
G
I suppose there might be a buck or two to save in a big McMansion but most houses would be better served by simply using better glass and more insulation. The new HVAC systems are really pretty efficient.
Other than pool pumps I doubt there is much else that would benefit from 3 phase.

Greg Fretwell
W
In my home town (Oradell NJ) there's several late 50's houses fed with 3 phase power (normal 120/240 with an open delta 240v). Must have been the first houses with central air. Presumidly the homeowners have never mistaken the 208V line for 120V.

S
I was unaware that there is a big difference in efficiency between single-phase and three-phase air-conditioning equipment. Just how big is the difference?

S
In my 15 years, I have worked in exactly 1 residential home that had 3 phase power to it. The owner was filthy rich. All the HVAC equipment is also 3 phase, and even some kitchen appliances. The pool in the basement may also be powered by 3 phase equip but I'm not sure about that. Yes, a pool in the basement, nice, huh?

Latest technology for AirCon is to use dc motors & inverters to give infinitely variable compressors and evaporators and 'soft start'. Coupled with microprocessor control and ozone-friendly refrigerant, [R410A] these units easily achieve COPs of well over 4, so that the difference between 3 and single phase operation is nil.
www.toshiba-aircon.co.uk

[Link gives a good idea on wassappenin',
technology wise, I'm not saying they're better than others.]

Having seen neighbors juggling their demand between phases and continually tripping breakers when they plug their kettle into the 'wrong' recep., I'd say 3 phase and residential is a bad idea.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 01-21-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
P
3-phase domestic supplies are pretty common in Continental Europe, although not here in the U.K.

So many of those supplies are very low rated though, sometimes set for only 15 or 20A per phase. As Alan says, you have to juggle what to Americans and Brits seem like small loads just to avoid tripping a main breaker.

Somehow I can't imagine that being a problem if 3-phase were used in U.S. homes, as the services would be "a little" heftier. [Linked Image]

I
I have a question,why not provide homes with 3 phase power? With energy conservation being a "hot subject" it seems to be a tremendous waste to have single phase air conditioning equipment in most of the new homes constructed.

Watts are watts regardless of them being delivered three phase or single phase.

746 watts per HP is unchanging.

Advantages of three phase are smaller conductors.

Disadvantages...cost.

Any three phase distribution equipment costs more than the equivalent single phase equipment.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
WFO Offline
We had one home on our system that had a true 3 phase service.
Someone had convinced this guy that 3 phase was cheaper than single phase. (Still haven't ever gotten a good explanation on why people think that [Linked Image].

Anyway, after living there a couple of years, he decided his bill was too high and had the entire house converted back to single phase. (More cost for no significant return).

This guy was singularly lacking in wit or tack, so the fun part was during the conversion when they installed the single phase equipment before we had changed out his delta bank. The AC guy hooked the controls up to the 208 high leg and fried the AC.

Of course, Mr. "I've got more dollars than sense" wanted us, the POCO, to pay for it.

We just smiled [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by WFO (edited 01-21-2006).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard