ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
AFDD's coming to the UK
by Texas_Ranger - 01/17/23 07:22 PM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6023 12/19/01 09:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 84
donles Offline OP
A client has something similar to rope lighting running in a shallow groove on top of her kitchen cabinets. It's controlled by a SP switch above the counter top. The voltage at the switch is 115 AC but there is 12 VAC to the lights. A lamp cord comes out of a hole in the wall and splices to the "fixture". The lamps themselves are spaced 2" OC and they are in a rigid, clear plastic housing.
Two questions: Does anyone know where I can get something similar i.e. 12V strip lights?
Could I step-up the voltage with a transformer mounted on top of the cabinets and use 115V rope lights? I can find those.
Additionally - I can't find the step-down transformer for the existing lights. It may be inaccessible.
Thanks, Don

#6024 12/19/01 09:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,056
Have you tried WAC lighting?
I wouldn't make a bad situation worse by adding to it. You should try to find the transformer first, then take it from there.

#6025 12/19/01 10:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 26
Be careful! Make sure the transformer is a listed class II transformer - I know a lot of the WAC jobs do not carry a listing for "field installations". (You can tell by the reverse R and U together - this indicates that UL recognizes this product but it is to be used as a component of another product). If the wiring behind the walls is zip cord and connected to these lights the transformer has to be a LISTED class II to protect against fire and shock hazard. I have also seen the lighting you have indicated in the 120 volt varity - if it is, your customer may have a problem, and also a hazard. You can check the listing number at to see what the product is listed for.

#6026 12/20/01 10:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 84
donles Offline OP
To both Redsy and Johngeorge,

What is WAC lighting?

I can't believe the transformer would be left inaccessible in the walls. This house is only around 10 yrs. old. It's a very large home costing probably 500K to 1M new and the electrical materials are what you would find in tract homes complete with back-wired spec-grade receptacles. I'm changing every one that I get near. Lots of dead outlets due to it's upstream neighbor with loose connections.

>>I have also seen the lighting you have indicated in the 120 volt varity - if it is, your customer may have a problem, and also a hazard.
It's 12 volt, why would it be a hazard if it were 120 volt?


#6027 12/21/01 07:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,056
WAC is a lighting manufacturer.
Article 411 prohibits lamp cords from being run through or concealed behind walls.
The price of the home doesn't necessarily reflect the level of workmanship, particularly if it is in a development.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Kansas City, KS
Posts: 30
Joined: January 2013
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 8
triple 3
Popular Topics(Views)
302,642 Are you busy
231,941 Re: Forum
216,592 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5