I posted this same question under the Safety forum and am doing the same thing in here again hoping maybe someone will answer in at least one of them...but My boyfriend does electrical work. Hes been working in this building for a couple weeks now. And just yesterday his boss told them all that the bujilding they were working in had asbestos. I wasn't too worried because I figured it wouldn't be too harmful as I have read that you must be around it for a prolonged amount of time. But he told me that the dust in that building was flying around everywhere so bad sometimes it was hard to see. and that the masks didnt even cover their faces for those who wore them so many didnt wear them. I guess my question is, should we be worried about health effects or is being around it in that bad of a situation for only a couple of weeks not enough to do anything.
Any asbestos exposure is too much! Any employer who knowingly allows workers to be exposed is neglegient and probably criminally liable. If there is good reason to suspect asbestos, and the employer will not address it, time to call OSHA. Please be aware that the dust present may not contain asbestos depending on what asbestos containing material is present. Better to error on the side of caution and get him out of there now. KB
Re: Question - I hope someone can help me with....#59182 11/29/0510:00 PM11/29/0510:00 PM
Dust of any kind is one thing, and not good for you. Wearing proper protection is required. Who knows what can be in it... Lead paint? 50 year old emebas, and virouses? If I show up at jobs like that, I leave, and say call me when you're done with that mess, I can do that.... But if you are going to work, or have to work in it, not wearing a mask is just dumb! Demand a mask that fits, and works for the material you're exposed to.
Beanpole, I've been on a few jobs where the asbestos was being abated. The areas where they were removing it were completely sealed off and no unauthorized people were allowed anywhere near the asbestos itself. From what I understand of asbestos, the effects are cumulative just like with lead exposure. It's additive throughout your lifetime. That being the case, I would say any exposure is too much. If there truly is asbestos in the building, and it's being disturbed, the contractor should be made aware of that fact. If he already knows and has done nothing to ensure the safety of the men working there, I know of several lawyers that would love to meet him in front of a judge.
Re: Question - I hope someone can help me with....#59184 11/30/0506:13 PM11/30/0506:13 PM
You have been given good advice so far. What you and your boyfriend need to do is get more information. The simple statement that the building has asbestos doesn't mean much by itself. It certainly should send up red flags though and make him want the complete story. If he is being exposed to it in any way he needs to quit and find a good lawyer.