ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5915 12/13/01 07:44 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Off to a slew of residential service calls to the elderly, senior shut-ins who's months highlight is having a tradesman show up...

So they gotta flow me around , not content to watch, they actually debate my every move.

I'm silent, sucking in the 'Ralph & Alice' bit's puns & jabs, awaiting decision....

tic,tic,tic,tic...

the Honeymooners.... alive & well in Vermont
[Linked Image]

#5916 12/13/01 11:31 PM
R
That reminds me...
Spring 1980.
Maintenance man at apartment complex.
Job ticket - change light fixture in apartment.

After spending 1/2 hour changing fixture, I kindly listen to the wheelchair bound woman talk non-stop about her being a shut-in and having no family or friends. After about 1/2 hr. or so, I start wanting to leave but can't seem to get away. Slyly, I reached into my back pocket to key the microphone on my walkie-talkie. As soon as the office responds to my bogus keying, I say into microphone " OK, boss, I'll get right on it". Tell the lady I have to go on emergency call. On the way back to the office I am so pleased with myself for being so clever, that I can't wait to tell the office crew. When I get to the office, no sooner do I tell my story than the phone rings. It's the woman. "The nice young man left his tools here". You can guess the rest.

#5917 12/14/01 04:15 AM
T
Long winded, one-sided conversations can be stressful.
Another trick is to tactfully turned off the pager, then turned it back on again. Then say you have to go "call in", after the series of beeps that sounded when first turning on the pager. Be sure to use your cell phone in your truck!!
Works everytime.

Tiff

#5918 12/14/01 12:09 PM
M
HA! HA! HA!(...he laughed slyly) [Linked Image] Been there, done that!! It also works well when you have to break away from an overextended telephone conversation, too. It's certainly the least insulting way of doing it that I have seen. Best wishes for a joyous holiday season to y'all!

Mike (mamils)

Link Copied to Clipboard