ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
I had a friend ask me if it was permissible to have other outlets for rope lights above cabinets and/or undercabinets on the same circuit as the refrigerator. he ran a seperate 15 amp circuit for the refrigeator. i could not find in the code where it would say i can or cannot do this. thanks for the feedback.

I
The short answer is no.

Here are the code sections.

210.52(B)(1) requires the receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment to be supplied from the 20 amp small appliance branch circuit.

However there is an exception.

210.52(B)(1)
Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

That says we can supply it with another individual branch circuit.

From Article 100
Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

So because your friends refrigerator is not supplied from a small appliance branch circuit (it's only 15 amp) you can not supply anything else from it.

Strangely had it been supplied from the two required 20 amp small appliance branch circuit or had it been a 20 amp circuit and you simply called it a third small appliance branch circuit then you could supply as many other counter top receptacle outlets as you wanted.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-28-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
Alright, well i will just tell him instead to run a 15 amp circuit to run a 20 amp circuit "small appliance circuit" and that should be good. this stuff is all pretty new to me, since i am still in school for the electrical trade.

S
IWire,

So am I to understand that if my ice-box is plugged into a duplex wall socket (protected by a 15 amp circuit-breaker at the panel), I can't plug anything else -- like the radio that sits on top of said ice-box -- into that same socket?

This same 15 amp circuit feeds a few other sockets in the house and I haven't popped the breaker...yet.

I'm curious, because my apartment block was built sometime in the late 1940s....

Thanks

H
yeh thats a good point,how new is your refrigerator svennyc? and if you know whats the amp draw?

V
we just run an dedicated 15 amp outlet to the fridge,with a single outlet

[This message has been edited by vlad_tepish (edited 12-01-2005).]

Patrick
S
Right, and the reason why it's a single recepetacle is because it's an indvidual branch circuit. Had it been a 20amp receptacle, more outlets could be added to the ckt.

I
Hey SvenNYC, is that ice box next to your victrola? I haven't heard ice box used in a long time.

E
Hey SvenNYC, is that ice box next to your victrola

[Linked Image] Very funny

Link Copied to Clipboard