ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#58769 11/19/05 01:10 AM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Saw a residential breaker panel today that was an old Murrey split buss panel. It did not have a main disconnect. It was fed underground to the meter and directly from the meter with 3/0 wire and thats it. Are these fused at the transformer?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Al,
That sounds like a nightmare!. [Linked Image]
How can you have a panel without any disconnect switch in it?

A
aldav53 Offline OP
I don't know, but there definetly was not a main disconnect. I can't ever remember seeing this. I'll check to see if the whole neighborhood was this way. I'm guessing it was.

S
If it was a split bus panel, were there 6 breaker positions on the line side of the buses?

steve

Steve
H
YOU INSTALL A BREAKER IN THE TOP SECTION TO FEED THE LOWER SECTION THIS KEEPS YOU WITHEN THE 6 RULE

W
230.71 permits a set of up to six breakers or switches to be used as the 'service disconnecting means'. The split buss panels would have 6 breakers feeding things like the electric range, dryer, AC, etc. with one of these breakers feeding the rest of the panel. This 'six throws of the hand' rule is still code.

408.16 would seem to prohibit the split buss panels for new installations.

I guess the 'modern' use of 230.71 in residential applications would be a pair of 200A panels installed for a 400A service, without a 400A main breaker.

-Jon

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Yes it does have the 6 breakers on top all 240 volt with one 60a feeding the lower buss. So that serves as the 6 breaker disconnect rule? You still cannot shut down the whole panel at once, which seems to be code.

winnie, I installed a 400 amp panel a few years ago feeding a 100a from that. If I remember right, the 400a had 2-200a mains feeding a split buss. So that would take 2 mains to shut down the panel.
Art 408.16 does seem to say you cannot have more than 2 disconnects.

M
I believe that sec 408.16 is referring to the protection of the feeders to the appliance/lighting panelboard. (i.e. a 200A CB in the MDP prior to the feeder and then another 200A CB in the panelboard= 2 disconnects)

what should be in play here is Sec 230.71(A).

Think of it in terms of a 6 ckt MDP feeding subpanels.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
mahlere,
Think your right, guess they'd have to be really large appliances to exceed the main panel rating.

D
One of the guys at the FD says he doensn't have a main D/C on his resi panel either... IIRC, the house dates back to the late 50's - early 60's.

I offered to take a look (for free, since he's a co-worker) and offer some constructive advice, but he'd rather just sit around and gripe about it. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard