ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5736 12/04/01 11:11 AM
D
Dallas Offline OP
This in a thought line with my PT Barnum post on the thread about the "Master" electrician taking advantage of people over the internet.

How many of you charge full price to reset a circuit breaker, or a GFCI receptacle? I mean, the call comes in, you have the person describe the problem, and it's the classic "reset the GFCI in the bathroom or garage" or "push the handle of the CB ALL the way off, then back on" kind of thing. Do you load up and drive over there to do it and charge them for the service call, do it over the phone and send them a bill, or be the good samaritan and do it over the phone for free?

Dallas

#5737 12/04/01 05:01 PM
S
I must admit to handing a card out occasionally and asking for a call when some real work comes along after resetting breaker or GFI.

Usually, I try to explain it, if they can fine!
If they can't =$$$$, unless of course your 501-C??

A lot depends on the situation....

1)little ol'widow, fixed income, 64' plymouth w/ 30K miles, 3 legged dog (that's worried)

2) Daddy Warbucks, could give a rodents rearend to even check the panel...
[Linked Image]

#5738 12/05/01 05:58 PM
T
Does the $ minimum charge fee apply here..
good question.....I agree with sparky on this one and I think '66 does too....
If it is a little grandma calling, she is afraid to "touch" anything.... and none of her children can "make it" real soon to check the problem out. Then yes a "free" service call is in order, leave a business card - and mention the minimum service charge being waived, this time. Accept the cookies she has offered for "troubling you". A pleasant smile and a warm "glad I could help" just might get you a call or two from someone referred to you by this little grandma.

Link Copied to Clipboard