ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#56403 09/21/05 03:17 PM
G
So what do I have to do to get people to respond to me? Its very disheartening to not get a single response after a week. Is it cause Im new? I was really looking for some input on article 409 of the 2005 NEC. Still could use some help, since this report is due in a few days. Thanks for anyone who actually responds.

Edit; Please see the 409 thread at the following link
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000073.html

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-21-2005).]

#56404 09/21/05 04:05 PM
W
1) Please remember that this is a free site, where people voluntarily give answers if they happen to know something on the topic in question, if they have time, if they happen to be at the computer, etc. If you want a _guarantee_ of an answer, then you have to pay a research service.

2) That said, the members of this site are here to share knowledge, to learn and to teach, and are generally more than willing to answer questions!

3) I don't see your question anywhere; perhaps it didn't actually get posted, or perhaps it was posted when no one with useful input was available, and the question then 'rolled to the bottom of the stack'. When you are 'bumping' a question up to the top, the best way is to reply to the original post, or to provide a link back to the original post. Asking people to hunt around to find your question is a great way to get it ignored!

4) The more specific your question, the more likely that someone will have an answer for it. If you ask a question that requires a long essay to answer, the response will usually be something like 'gosh, I'd love to write that book....later....when I have the time' [Linked Image]

5) Finally, this is me speaking for myself, based upon my own experiences with this site. The moderators can provide you with the official word. [Linked Image]

Good luck!

-Jon

[This message has been edited by winnie (edited 09-21-2005).]

#56405 09/21/05 04:07 PM
J
Bless your heart my child, I did a search on your user name and you seem to have ask the same question twice in two different threads.

Im doing a report on article 409 of the new 2005 NEC. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how businesses have reacted to the new article, and what they have done to comply with the new regulation. And comments would be appreciated.

I have not done any installations that would fall under ARTICLE 409 Industrial Control Panels of the 2005 NEC and I have not done any research into this article as yet.

As to how a business would react would be simple, they would comply. What other choice is there?

I am sorry that no one has responded to your post as of yet. I have now responded but unfortunately I am of no help. It would be my guess that this is why no one else has responded.

May the wind always be at you back my friend.

edited to add:
See sometimes two people will respond at the same time just as Winnie and myself has done. We were both typing at the same time.
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by jw electric (edited 09-21-2005).]

Mike
#56406 09/21/05 04:18 PM
T
There are many niches in electrical contracting, and Art. 409 isn't in mine.

Dave

#56407 09/21/05 05:19 PM
R
GMIntern, welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, and would add that in reality, this section doesn't change much of the way this type of installation would have been done even if article 409 wasn't in the NEC.

Winnie's post was on the money, the members here are willing, able, and happy to help others, but as JW and Dave said, many have not and possibly never will do an installation that would come under 409, and I will say once again, I don't think it changes much in the way the installation would have done anyways.

I really don't think this new article will be affecting businesses in a big way, it wouldn't be retroactive, and as far as new installations are concerned, it would be as JW said, they would simply comply.

With that said, stick around and ask more questions, you may ask one that will hit the multi-hundred post mark. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-21-2005).]

#56408 09/21/05 06:09 PM
L
409 - you say ?? Let me see........

yeah my wife has some under the kitchen sink. She uses it to remove stuff I leave on the counter.

#56409 09/21/05 06:10 PM
L
LK Offline
"This article details requirements for the installation and inspection of "industrial control panels intended for general use and operating from a voltage of 600 volts or less."

There may be some business operations that you might want to question, for your report, the small control panel manufactures, the industrial plants, that design build their own equipment, this article will have more of an impact on them, then the electrical contractor.

#56410 09/21/05 08:11 PM
E
e57 Offline
Hmmm lets see... 2005 not used in California, (about to adopt 2002 as state code, and may skip 2005 on next cycle) but one of our members has provided a link to free access to it.
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB

Now is there some particular part that you are worried about complying with? Most of that code, (new only to 2005) seems like common sense. Over-current protection, fill, bending radius of wiring, listas "suitable for use as service equipment", if applicable. I really don't see anything that out of the ordinary. It will meent PLC enclosures may need some extra space, motors maint. disco's will still be required, but they were anyway. The only thing that stuck out in my cursory glance is that it seems to making a defined effort to make applicable codes that may have been over-looked that were required before anyway.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#56411 09/21/05 09:53 PM
Hello & welcome.......
Time is a very valuable commodity to a lot of us.....we "give" what we can....some 'give' a lot as moderators and the webmaster.

Here in NJ the 2005 NEC will not be adopted until May 2006 at the earliest, so I have no personal (AHJ & EC) knowledge of it's existance.

Please don't take not getting a reply as a personal thing.....I've been here for a while, and the 'guys' ignore me sometimes.

Stay safe, and may the Gulf Coast be as safe as possible.

John

John
#56412 09/21/05 10:21 PM

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard