ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline
Thats an "aptitude test"?!

One might be better off with ink blots! Or "go fetch me a cable stretcher" type stuff... Which I think this is the written version of. But I guess this is the "sample test", and totaly non-reflective of the type of questions you'll actualy get, I hope. Like the Ca Electrician Certification "sample" test has questions about "real estate licensing". It is just an example of how the test is given.

ucallitme, if you want to do well on the actual test you're going to really take, think praticaly, and brush up on "test taking" skills. There are stratagies, like spending only a certain amount of time on each question, and going back after completing as many as you can. (if allowed) A little reaseach on the what and how your score is determined will help you a lot.

Or for that matter knowing when and where to show up with what paperwork to be allowed to sit for the test could be key! Main reason I'm not in the union today!

That is the total of the advice I can give, but wish you luck.... Oh, except for the one with the wheels (#1), all answers are "C", and #1 is "neither", but they did not state it as a choice. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
The person(s) who wrote this aptitude test failed. As others have noted, it's poorly written and confusing. The best craftsmen have the ability to "see" the work completed in their mind, and see the logical steps needed before they start the task.
We used to select apprentices for all the skilled trades, (electricians, fitters, carpenters, painters, metal bashers), with a simple full-scale drawing of a wire coathanger. Each candidate got a piece of soft copper wire, and just had to bend it to make one. Boy, that sorted out the wheat from the chaff in ten minutes flat!
Ucalltime,
A way to get a better mark is to do lots of practice tests beforehand to hone your mind up for the real thing.
The questions appear to involve inertia, balance, gravity and levers, so read up those subjects.
As to "answers", I'll do one for you based on logic.
The wheels, if of equal weight, have different inertias, ( because mass concentrated nearer the rim has to travel further when rotated ). So, the spoked wheel is a better flywheel and can store more kinetic energy at any given rpm. Now, which wheel is hardest to stop?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
U
Thanks to everyone for their time & advice. I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks these test questions could be written better. Since posting this topic, I have found some books that may help those who maybe in a similiar situation, and or who may just want to learn something new. Here they are:
Understanding Basic Mechanics, Frederick Reif, [ISBN: 0471116246]
How to Prepare for the Mechanical Aptitude & Spacial Relations Test, Joel Wielsen, [ISBN: 0764123408]
Mechanical Aptitude & Spatial Relations Tests, Joan Levy, Norman Levy, [ISBN: 0768916992]

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

G
Seriously, I don't remember seeing much of that on the entrance exam and I know for a fact I haven't seen any of that since then.

I have just now started my third year of apprenticeship with the Local here in Atlanta. I will advise you to keep your math skills before you fill your head up with that junk.

Basically all they want to know is this. Can you see two dimension and make it happen in a three dimensional work place?
That comes into play with reading prints and that is a major part of the job in latter parts of your training. But don't stress on it for now.

Just my opinion though. Take it for what it's worth.

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

H
My opionion of general apptitude tests is if i wanted to be a general i would have enlisted in the army.

R
Ron Offline
This is related to the inclined plane problem shown 1st on 2nd page.
The force that A imposes on the cord is F=ma
The force that B imposes on the cord is only the y component (vertical direction) of the total force that B could have provided. Since the question stated that there was no friction and the masses where the same, and a=gravity=9.8m/s^2 for both objects, I would say that the assembly slides toward A, since B doesn't have its entire weight working for it, only the y component.
That's the best decription I can give without a bunch of scribble on a drawing. [Linked Image]

Ron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard