ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Hello everyone:
I am trying to become an inside wireman apprentice througth the IBEW local 569, but I am having some difficulties with some of the mechanical comprehension questions that are supposed to be on the aptitude test I will be taking on Oct. 12. (The algebra and reading comprehension parts I have down packed.) If anyone is willing to provide study resources to these problems,it would be greatly appreciated. The questions can be found at: http://ucallitme569.tripod.com/sampletest4.pdf
Any email responses can be sent to ucallitme@adelphia.net

THANKS!

[This message has been edited by ucallitme (edited 09-18-2005).]

Cat Servant
Yahoo says this site is unavailable.

Must be nice....getting the test in advance- then having someone else give you the answers!

S
If everybody had it that easy we would all be out of jobs. Let us know if you pass and who passed it for you.

U
No disrespect to anyone, but I have already passed NJATC's online tech math course (within one month) they provide through the University of Tennessee. I have also bought a study guide (Has blue cover and says math on the front) for $5 that the NJATC supplies, which does not show or explain any of the questions I have posted on http://ucallitme569.tripod.com/sampletest4.pdf . I am not asking for a free ride, all I am asking for is some help in an area I need to improve in.

T
It looks like an interesting test. I think it's fascinating that you understand algebra, but can't see the answers to these problems. I'm not going to give you the answers either, but to be slightly helpful, you can set some of these up...like the crank and hook one...to find the answers.

Good Luck

Dave

L
I'm having trouble believing this is a serious test.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
T
It is a basic test, Larry. If any of us (Electricians, that is) had a real brain, we would have stayed in school.

Dave

Some of the questions are missing since I looked quickly before. Some real easy ones are gone.

Maybe I overanalyze things sometimes, but I have a real problem with questions like these. They're poorly worded and leave you to guess what the test writer had in mind.

"Which chain holding the sign is the strongest?" - how could we tell from the picture if one chain is stronger than the other? Maybe they mean "Which chain has to be stronger", but that's not what it says.

"Which way will the board move?" - do they mean horizontally? vertically? - which end? - it's already defying the laws of Gravity, it's not easy to be sure what is meant here.

Bill

Bill
H
It’s a poorly conceived test, likely written by an educational psychologist than someone in the trades that has actually yanked a wrench or pulled some cable. Whether or not there’s any correlation between getting a high score on this turkey, and doing well in the electrical fields is highly questionable.

Harvey
(Retired electricity/electronics instructor, 33 years teaching experience)

[This message has been edited by Harvey (edited 09-19-2005).]

D
These questions are horrible, but I’ll attempt to answer them the best I can.

1. Assuming the wheel on the right has more mass it would be harder to stop due to rotational inertia.

2. My gut tells me they are both equal. If you add an unbalanced weight to either one it will cause rotation.

3. The diagram violates physics as Bill stated

4. They are trying to trick you into thinking one side will have a torque on it due to the arm. However where the chains are the torque on the arm does not come into play. So they both need to be able to hold the same weight.

5. The weight diagram is messed up from what I can see, I cant tell what they are showing.

6. Assuming the post and the arm are a pivot point the arm will be pulled clockwise. Therefore there will be a force on B.

7. This can be done with force vectors, but its easier to think of it this way. Assume that the incline is actually perfectly horizontal. Obviously the vertical weight would pull the other off the “table”. Now incline the table slightly, it will still be pulled off. With no friction it would continue to do so until the angle is made vertical for both pieces. I hope that makes sense.

8. The gears from the picture appear to be in a stable state, so unless they specify a force, there is no question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard