ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
"If I was a business owner I would snap you right up, another license in the company is always a good thing"

I had a whole three months in the trade when I passed my journeymans exam. The state let me test because I have a BS in electronics.

I took the test because my boss wanted me to and he offered a raise. I would do it again in a second. Having a journeymans card doesn't mean you know everything. You just have to know your own limitations.

When the options are having a card or not, I'd take having the card everytime.

John, (Reno)
I can't help but agree with you.
"Apprentice" is NOT a term used to describe children, serfs, or inferiors. It is a term describing the special relationship between someone who wants to learn, and someone who wishes to teach him, and the bureaucracy involved in documenting this training- so the guy finishes the course with more than just his hat in his hand.
Quite true,
It annoys me when I hear customers talking to our Apprentices like they just came down in the last shower.
We wouldn't hire them if they didn't have a clue.
Often times the Apprentices have more of an idea of life than the customer, no matter how new they are.
It's just not on. [Linked Image]

S
I try to teach the apprentices not to feel overwhelmed by the material that I am exposing them to, but that with time in the trade it will start to make more sense to them.

Chris, I'm going through school now and experiencing the exact opposite of what you said. I have the years in the trade, but lack the technical knowledge. So most of the material we're going over makes sense to me because of my experience.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 10-01-2005).]

J
I'm taking a 9 month, full (academic) day course at the local county vo-tech. At the end I intend to take and pass the Journeyman's test. The theory, practical book work ... is frankly a snap for me.

I had a father who was an EE at a power company for his entire life and he taught me a lot of the theory and practical knowledge of electricity. I also have a degree in computer science, 36 years in software engineering, and have spent years interpreting MA building code for handicapped accessibility which partly prepared me for the legalistic NEC speak.

I'm mostly looking for apprentice practical training in the courses and the instructor is very good about having high standards and enforcing them.

This is a second career for me and a way to stay active.

So let loose with the comments

JFW
S
From my point of view, you'll have a sheet of paper saying you know that a disconnect is needed for any type of motor. That's all good that you know that, but have you ever been up in an attic to wire an attic fan? That's all I'm saying. But its nobody's fault but their own if the electrician has "done his time" but hasn't gotten a certificate to back it up.

Good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 10-01-2005).]

S
This is a Shortcut.
We've all worked at a job where the Lead Guy did not know jack. The Apprentice's were pushing the job and getting pissed because journeyman didn't know what to do was getting higher pay than them. You'll always be relying on the Apprentice's for the knowlege and trying not to let them catch on to your ignorance of it.
Your only shortcutting yourself in the long run. That J card means you know somthing more than the average electrician, not just parts. This is a good trade to get into and will take far, if you do it right.

JMHO
Rob

G
Take the test.

Tell no one.

When you feel comfortable, step forward.

Until then, play apprentice. [Linked Image]

-George
D
if you take your work seriously, do not bypass apprenticeship. if you only care about taking shortcuts and making more money, then skip it. But you will always have the cloud of a shortcut hanging over your career.

p=ie
R
Shockme77, I have one current student that has been an electrician for a few years and is just now taking the apprenticeship course.

He seems to be like you, in the fact that he really grasps the concepts better than alot of the new students with no experience.

For the most part, a large majority of the students in my class are new to the trade, and the concepts that I am teaching.

Good luck with your classes. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Chris

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard