ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
EM:HE is coming to my area to film a show and provide a new home for a family in need.

I've been selected to be the project manager for the electrical work on the home.

The home, just over 3000sq ft, must be built in 106 hours. I will have 6hrs to rough and 6hrs to finish.

I am organizing a crew of 24 electricians (volunteers) to take on the challenge...

Anyone on this site been a part of extreme makeover?

shortcircuit

D
Man that is awesome, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Great show, they got a good thing going.

They help out some really good folks, and I get choked up at the end, right after:

"Bus Driver----Move that Bus"...

Dnk.......

J
Just don't do work like these guys:
http://www.nbc5.com/money/4638758/detail.html

Make sure you keep us updated on when it will air so I know when to watch. And if you can, squeeze in a shout out to ECN so we know which guy is you.

So I assume this is all volunteer work? I'd be curious to know what a gig like this pays, if you are at liberty to discuss. May be best to wait until after the show to disclose. I know I'd be less hesitant to volunteer for someone making good money.

C
Cow Offline
That link JPS posted is quite an eye opener. The way they installed the furnace for example.

I think I would definitely be a nice change of pace to work on something like that. I don't think I would want to run a job like that though. 24 electricians working under you, probably some you've never met. Not knowing the quality of their work and how much babysitting you might have to do. All the while Ty is screaming in a megaphone 10 feet from your ear to "hurry up people, we got a house to build." Seems like there would be a lot of code violations being rushed like that and not being able to do a good job. Not to mention working around the 100 other people trying to get their job finished as well. Good Luck.

Letting the family see the house at the end is definitely very cool though. Makes it all worthwile.

G
I have heard similar stories about "this old house".
The one that really makes me wonder is "trading spaces" (or "screw up your neighbor's house").

I don't know how they get AHJs to go along with this.

Greg Fretwell
T
Your moto can be...

"Sleep?...I can sleep when I'm dead!"

Have Fun!

Dave

H
Man that is awesome, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Great show, they got a good thing going...

Really?? If I were you I would stay far away from something like that, wouldn't want my name associated with it. Has to be the most idiotic show on TV.

At least This Old House has a realistic schedule. What does this have besides some moron yelling FASTER!

I think that link to the news story says it all.

-Hal

S
I have never seen the show but I can see it being done if other conditions are ready. I would certainly pre-sort the materials, have wire rigged on spools, devices stripped out of the packages and many pre-wired, pigtailed etc, temp power and battery tools all ready. Might be tempted to have some boxxed up for upstairs, downstairs etc, whatever I could think of so the fumbling was kept to a minimum.

T
Hopefully in your 6 hours to rough there won't also be...

24 plumbers
24 tin benders
24 rockers
24 tapers
24 carpenters
24 painters
24 decorators

Dave

J
You might want to catch up with Randy (Lostazhell). He was involved with this show about a year ago.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard