ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#55595 09/02/05 06:20 AM
K
Alan and Trumpy both have valid points in the previuos thread. I believe this is worthwhile discussion but the thread was heading to politics. There are plenty of boards to engage in that kind of mud slinging if that is what you wish to do. I would like to hear how our electrical brethren are fairing. If the city is evacuated, I assume that contractors will be allowed in to begin clean-up as soon as rescue operations are complete. The challenge these guys are facing are almost overwhelming. What about the engineering problems to prevent this in the future, or is the city declared uninhabitable?
KB

KB,
Good on ya mate. [Linked Image]
I think personally that it will take some time to actually drain the area.
It sort of makes me think though, what is the point in rebuilding an area that could be flooded twice as badly down the track, say in a few months or a few years?.
It also makes me wonder where the current residents will live while this (if any) rebuilding happens?.
With Global warming accounting for a lot of strange weather patterns the world over, could this be then called the norm for the future?
I'd hate to think so. [Linked Image]

My prayers and thoughts go out to anyone that is caught up in this disaster and I have made a contribution to the Red Cross.
If you care for your fellow man, do the same.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-02-2005).]

D
I want to say something here, that some may take the wrong way, but I hope it makes you think...

Did that $20 you gave make you feel good today? Did you feel as if you accomplished something?
I hope so.

So in a year from now...

Go to a childrens hospital in your area, and feel good again...

Dnk......

Dnkldorf,
I provide my time free of charge as a Station-Officer of the local Volunteer Fire Brigade.
I could be called out of bed at any time during the day (I am a Night shift worker) or night/day during the weekend.
It doesn't come down to money, it is based upon caring for your fellow man. [Linked Image]

D
I meant nothing by it Trumpy, I have a bleeding heart for unfornuate/needing kids.

My grandfather/dad/ his brothers were all volunteer firemen for a good part of their lifes. Alot of people aprecciated them for what they did.

Alot of people appreciate you for your efforts as well, Me being one of them.

My point is, even though this is a time of tradegy in NO, there is always tragic events happening in our own back yards. The children are the ones that seem to suffer most.

Kids are our future.......

Dnk..........

G
I have a dumb question for the firefighters here.
I keep seeing/hearing that they can't fight fires because there isn't any water pressure. Isn't a fire engine a truck with a big pump on it? Why can't they just drop the suction hose in the water they are standing in and pump that?

Greg Fretwell
R
I think that this is a good time to get with the Dutch and engineer dikes and levees that will protect the future city. They should keep everybody evacuated, take what land they need and re-do the whole place.

They also need to do something about the loss of the marshlands between New Orleans and the Gulf.

I used to live in Gulf Springs by Biloxi and there isn't much you can do to protect that part of the Gulf from a Catagory 5.

G
The biggest thing they can do is to be sure everything gets build back to current code. Use the Florida wind code. No exceptions to the FEMA elevation.
You notice when a storm hits the same places twice here in Florida, a few years apart, the second storm does not do near as much damage, even if it is stronger.
If you look at those Hiroshima looking pictures from Mississippi you will notice the new McMansions look largely undamaged and the old homes are gone.

Greg Fretwell
E
I myself have great faith in the Army Corps of Engineers, they've been an amazing asset to the U.S. for over a hundred years building thousands of enviromental/disaster support and control facilities, and I believe that once order in New Orleans is restored they can re-build the levees to the standards that they should have been built originally.

E
I hope my comments were not looked upon as politically motivated. They are not. They are a valid point of discussion on the disaster. The federal government was far to slow to react to this situation and as a result more lives are being lost. There should have been an immediate declaration of martial law and an a military response as if the Gulf Coast were being invaded by a foreign country. I would say after seeing this we are not as safe as we may think we are.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard