ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 162 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BryanR Offline OP
the Q is about when it is *required* to use hosp grade MC (as final link from EMT/J-box at ceiling) to devices in the exam rooms at a doctors office.

The site is NOT any sort of care facility... just basic physical exam rooms. No equipment on the plan calls for isolated grounds or pressurized gases (O2,etc).

Whadda think?

Thx

S
They have all sorts of electrical equipment in "plain vanilla exam rooms." My son had a wart on his foot, and the doctor pulled out a gadget that burned it off with an electric arc. Right there in the exam room. I think that a lot of the the exam tables are motorized, as well. Plus probably twenty other gadgets that I wouldn't begin to even know what they are that inhabit those rooms.

I don't know where the official line is between what's considered a patient care area and what isn't, but my experience and common sense tells me that a doctor's exam room is absolutely an area that should be treated as a patient care area.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 09-01-2005).]

A
Look at 517.2 Definitions. The first sentance of Patient Care Area. ...wherein patients are intended to be examined OR treated.
If it is an examining room it needs a metal raceway suitable for grounding.
Alan-- Inspector

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
V
In my experience, there is a good bit of grey area on this issue. The questions we tend to look at are A:How is it engineered?, B:What do the specs call for? C:How is it zoned? and D:What does the AHJ think?

I know that if anything even smells of patient care we bid/propose hospital grade wiring. Better safe than sorry, for us and also for any potential patients and doctors in the space.

If you have the chance question the GC, Tenant, Inspector, Plan Review, etc. depending on your situation. CYA!

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard