ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 141 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#55039 08/13/05 03:44 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Been thinking about it, and there are a whole range of things I wish were made. They might even be made, but I don't know about them.

Here are just a few:
  • Adjustable 1 gang, or gangable steel boxes simular to Carlons adjustable boxes for use in cabinets or changes in wall depth.
  • A small, portable, light-weight bender for bending 1 1/4" ~ 2" RMC. (Fits in a small tool box)
  • A 6' flexible bit that goes where you want it to go. (that self-centers on studs, and joists.)
  • The long awaited feed-thru AFCI device. (Like a GFCI receptical)

Feel free to add....
Or, if you know of any of these items made, let me know...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
A small, portable, light-weight bender for bending 1 1/4" ~ 2" RMC. (Fits in a small tool box)

[Linked Image from coolingtool.co.kr]

Or so I have heard. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
Well, my wish is that we could get some things that are available in other parts of the world, like more diesel engine choices for work vehicles. And a better selection of mid-sized work trucks and vans.

Also, I would love to see the diesel powered mini-Sprinter like pickups and vans that you see in the UK, Europe etc become available in the US.

With rising fuel prices, I hope this will soon become a reality.

Peter

Peter
C
A small, portable, light-weight bender for bending 1 1/4" ~ 2" RMC. (Fits in a small tool box)

Just from the physics of bending that size pipe, I don't think a bender could be made meeting that criteria. Perhaps titanium would work, but I would hate to see the cost of such a bender. [Linked Image]

Peter
E
e57 Offline OP
The sprinter is available here, but in macro version. For some reason Detroit still thinks bigger is better.... http://www.dodge.com/sprinter/
I too would like to see the smaller version here.

Turbotorch - that can't be legal.......
I was thinking like a hydraulic hickey

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Turbotorch - that can't be legal.......

Well it's not legal for PVC but it is not prohibited for RMC. [Linked Image]

344.24 Bends — How Made.
Bends of RMC shall be made so that the conduit is not damaged and the internal diameter of the conduit is not effectively reduced. The radius of the curve of any field bend to the centerline of the conduit shall not be less than indicated in Table 344.24.

You can bend RMC however you can as long as you do not damage it.

I know you where looking for something a little better. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
D
Isn't RMC galvanized?

I wouldn't put a flame to it, and then how would you re-galvanize it once you did put a flame on it?

That would damage it, wouldn't it?

Dnk........

I
I wouldn't put a flame to it, and then how would you re-galvanize it once you did put a flame on it?

That would damage it, wouldn't it?

Yes it could if you heated it to much.

I have removed RMC that has sagged from being in a fire and if you cleaned the smoke damage off it the RMC looked new, other than the sag and the conductors melted inside. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
Sure- let's see you use a propane torch to get steel pipe that large hot enough to bend! Lots of luck!
And, BTW, make sure you've got good ventilation, as the heat will vaporise the zinc- and those fumes are NASTY!

I bend large pipe- and small, gentle bends only at that- using a 12 ton bottle jack, frame, and bending shoes- all from Harbor Freight, for about $75. It is a bit heavier and larger than what you're asking for, but it works. I suppose the frame and shoes could be made of aluminum. Just keep your bends to about 15 degrees, and you're OK. Works on EMT as well.

As for my wishes, they are somewhat more modest.

I love cordless tools. Now, if only (a)batteries were interchangeable between brands, and (b) you could buy the tools without also buying a pair of batteries and a charger. (If you could, that $250 drill would sell for $75- and I'd be able to have lots more tools!)

I wish my ratcheting cable cutters would also cut ACSR. At least to 2/0.

Setting ground rods would be a dream, if I had a "transporter" like the one in Star-Trek!
Speaking of "Star Trek," those anti-gravity boots sure would save a lot on lift rentals!

More 'down to earth,' how about some sort of pilot device that would let you enlarge a hole (on center, or a little to the side). Hole saws don't work too well on existing holes.

Finally, I wish pick-up trucks had modular bodies...so I could easily slide off the utility box at the end of the day, and slide on whatever body I wanted- a dump bed, an open bed, a kid & pet-carying "passenger" module, you name it.

OK, I have to ask.....
A device to remove ground rods???????

Probaby have to resort to the ATV forklift, but any ideas, anyone??????

John

John
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard