ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#53946 07/17/05 07:47 PM
L
I can tell you this much. I think this has been the wettest dam summer I can remember!
wet Hot Humid did I say wet ?
But thats my luck. Broke ground on a new garage at home and the sky's have opened up.

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-17-2005).]

#53947 07/17/05 09:33 PM
Trumpy:
Typical NJ summer....hazy, hot, HUMID & showers. Can't really complain though; overall it's been a decent summer so far (Mid-may to now. The Florida crew is getting hit; along with the caribean area.

Sounds like you get the same swings in weather that we get here on the East Coast (NJ)
John

John
#53948 07/18/05 12:25 AM
R
It’s the peak of summer here in Medford, OR; we usually get about 2 or 3 weeks of mid summer triple digit high temperatures. Today it’s 39.4C (103F) for the high and it looks like a warm night to follow with a low of 20C (68F). Usually the really hot days are in August but we are a bit early this year.
Down at the coast (about 2.5 hrs away) it’s a cool 23 to 25 C and up at Crater Lake @ 2.2K Meters (1.25 hrs away) it’s a cool mid day at 26.5 or about 80F.
When I was up at Crater Lake (7000 ft), the last week end in June the road around the lake was still closed due to snow. And you could still see snow on Mt Ashland (7,454 ft), Mt Mc Laughlin (9,280 ft) and some of the ridges surrounding the Rouge Valley that nestles Medford, Ashland and the surrounding smaller towns.
The year on average is a bit warmer than usual, we didn’t get much snow pack and what winter we had came in late. We’re lucky so far with no major forest fires.

#53949 07/18/05 10:01 AM
B
Here in New Mexico we've just begun our summer monsoon season and welcomed the rain to fight the drought although it would probably take weeks of gentle rain to quell the drought and we know we're not likely to get the rain needed. We had a whopper of a hailstorm with 1" hail stones on Friday which caused flooding my office and made for icy conditions outside the nearby building I was visiting.

Yesterday after a blistering morning and afternoon, we got a 'frog-strangling' rain which watered everything nicely (no hail) and cooled us down quite a bit though it left us with incredible humidity after the rain stopped - not something we're accustomed to.

We currently have temps of 62.4 F in the shade and my thermometer facing the sun says 111 degrees at almost 8am this morning. My son's temp is 101.8 so we'll probably be driving in the heat of the day for a quick trip to the hospital... [Linked Image]

#53950 07/18/05 12:56 PM
P
After a slightly changeable start to the summer, it's warm here in eastern England too, up into the low 80s and I'm right on the coast.

So hot the cat lies under the wheelbarrow

My cat is thoroughly enjoying the warm spell, prowling around the sand dunes in the cooler evening air and finding nice shady corners to snooze in during the afternoon. [Linked Image]

#53951 07/18/05 02:05 PM
The spell of really hot, (35C 95F) dry conditions broke temporarily today, with a patter of rain, but the forecast is for more sun. I'm having to pump well water to the veg patch, ( we don't drink it- the nitrates are over 50mg/litre, this being cattle country.) Must be nice to live right on the coast Paul, I'd be fishing right now for flatties! I went to Boy Scout Camp at Cromer in the fifties, and it was lovely. Can't remember much except the train out was double-headed steam engines, and we took a day trip to Gt. Yarmouth where they had a doughnut machine on the Front, sixpence olde money a go! (2.5p, US 5c). Did you know, BTW, that no one in the British Isles is more than 100 miles from the sea, which is why it rains so much!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
#53952 07/19/05 04:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks a heap for all of your replies, guys!.
Oh and by the way, all you people in Colorado, just watch your beetles, they're ruining Alan's spuds!. [Linked Image]
We are slowly heading into the early end of Spring here, but Spring here means changeable weather.
It's usually very windy and with a lot of rain.
I'd just like to educate that new guy that told me in the Chat rooms that Winter doesn't start here (in New Zealand) until July 1st.
We didn't have much of a summer last year, in fact it was wetter than Winter.
Enough of my complaining!. [Linked Image]

#53953 07/19/05 07:26 AM
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/leaf/potato_beetles.htm

A very serious, and a notifiable to the authorities pest in the UK, so this is the first time I ever saw one. Went to the garden centre where the owner told me to spray them, proffering a poison specific to the critters, (OK for bees and nice insects like lacewings, ladybirds etc). Asked about telling the Authorities and he fell about laughing! As to Colorado USA residents, as usual in these matters, Colorado has little to do with the name, these critters being also native to Florida, Mexico, in fact most of the Americas, living originally on 'buffalo-bur', whatever that is! It seems they probably arrived with the French seed potatoes I bought, so next year I'll be growing imported Scotch spuds, the best!

Alan

PS. Does 'spud' = potato in the US?
Ex-vice president Dan Quayle could probably have spelled 'spud'. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-19-2005).]

Wood work but can't!
#53954 07/19/05 07:48 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Alan,
Does 'spud' = potato in the US?
Ex-vice president Dan Quayle could probably have spelled 'spud'
No I'm pretty sure it must have been Al Gore that invented that term, just like he invented the Internet. [Linked Image]
However though, it has been a term used here for a cricket ball.
As in:
Well then, that keeper hasn't caught hold of that spud heading his way.
Damn them Aussies for mucking up the English language!. [Linked Image]

#53955 07/19/05 08:59 PM
J
Just got back from Las Vegas for a wedding over the weekend. 114F with a low of 90F. that's about as hot as I've ever seen it. Made for good swimming weather though. Then as we were leaving, the AC in the airport was broken and our flight was delayed.

Here in suburban Chicago, dry and hot 80's & 90's, but we need rain bad. Even huricane Dennis dried up when he got here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard