ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 407 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
I work as an electronic engineering technitian (fancy name for a tech?) and I work with engineers quite often on equipment and in the field. They do quite a lot of hands on around here. I don't have experience with too many companies but where I work they spend alot of time on the production floor and out in the field. Like renosteinke said: Hows your secucity clearace? or do you think you can get one? I work on defense contracts and I can say it is really cutting edge stuff. Because it's prototype stuff, the engineers are very hands on.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 07-11-2005).]

R
Ron Offline
When you look for a Job, be sure that you get desk time and field time. Most EE's that I work with (including myself), spend at least one day a week if not more at project sites. We call it construction administration, but it is mostly working elbow to elbow with the EC's Foreman working out coordination issues and product application. It's also great to attend site integrated commisioning acceptance. It helps make that project work smoother, and is great learning for the next project. Of course you would do this field task with a senior engineer for the first year or so, until you get the hang of it.

Ron
G
PE,
(you don't mind if I call you "PE" do you [Linked Image] ) There are many examples of working both ways.

One guy I know works for a VERY large company locally. He is an EE and came out of college to work as an electrician for a few years. He is now the project manager everyone respects (unless you're trying to pull the wool over his eyes)

I went backwards (OK that's normal with me, don't ask) and was an electrician first, 12 years business owner, 20 years an apprenticeship teacher. Then I got hired as an EE. I have been working with engineering firms for the last 7 years. Title is EE, but I always put "Senior Electrical Inspector" on all correspondence. It's about the best of both worlds with me, cause I get to spend time in both worlds

BUT the important part is the field experience, it is what makes me valuable to these organizations.

I have been working at the Pentagon for awhile, and started out working at Dulles Airport. You can find gainful, and fulfilling employment of this type with lots of the big firms, Parsons Brinckerhoff, DMJM, 3DI, Ralph M. Parsons, Bechtel, Kellog-Brown-Root. You have to decide what type of work you want to do.

If you take the straight out of college to the office route, sorry, you're going to be an "Office Engineer" for awhile, unfortunately, it's much more a glorified secretarial position - think secretary with technical understanding. It drives most of the really on the ball young guys I've worked with nearly insane. You will find your value would increase quite a bit with some field experience.

BTW, at both firms I know "PE's" that will not allow themselves to be placed in the office - Think salary versus OT, and let's face it, the fun is in the dirt, not on the carpet. It's your life, do what you think will suit you best, I assure you, the reason I do this is because of arthritis and damage I've done to myself over the years, so it ain't physically challenging.

Good luck man, the choices are out there, you're not necessarily stuck with any choice, so sample some. We have summer intern programs, and so does the airport (www.mwaa.com) so do look into these thing, unfortunately, we used the interns like OE's. Why? Because a field guy has to be there when the work STARTS, and sorry, but most college guys just can't make it.

Let us know, feel free to click on my profile and contact me.

George

S
I can't add anything of value to this discussion but I did want to say that sometimes you can find a job that fits, I am an Electrical Engineer for the USDA Forest Service (read beautiful outdoor time.) And sometimes you have to make your own fit as my nephew who graduated this year as an EE in technology. He has used home construction to put him through school, is in final stages of getting his contractors license, focusing on high-end low voltage home controls. (Now that I think about it, I need to tell him about this site.)

Shane (P.E.)

Broom Pusher and
Ran across this thread (which I forgot existed!), and want to make these following responses:

To BobH:

Scott, I always wondered about the mentality of "gaspoles" giving you guys a hard time in the field. I guess they just think engineers are pencil pushers and they'll grant you no respect.

Well, I feel that respect is something that can only be earned, never granted by default; but you have "Hit The Nail On The Head", as to the typical views of any Office type Personnel by the common "Gas-Pole"
[Linked Image]

It would be nice to describe - or even show with hands-on examples, that the People in the Office actually do work, and this work has its own level of difficulty involved too!
Also explain that there can even be some People, whom have skills for both Field and Office work Enviroments - mainly because those People had been in the trade for like a few years or so, before going into the Office...

If this could be demonstrated to the Apprentice Gas-Poles (Persons new to the "Gas-Pole Beliefs", being taught to be Gas-Poles by "Master Gas-Poles"), or the "Undecided Gas-Poles" (Persons teetering on the idea of breaking away from the "Gas-Pole Theory/Protocol"), I believe it would do a lot of good for our Trade.

It would give the Personnel who have only seen either the Field side of projects, or the Office side of projects, a more complete picture of what's going on altogether.

It would also encourage growth in knowledge + abilities, for many Company Team Members.

Overall, it would eliminate, or drammatically reduce "Gas-Pole Thinking" by Field and Office Personnel.

I've always tried to learn and ask questions when I encounter an engineer on the job and they're usually happy to oblige. Well I guess that's just the so called 'human condition' that we all have to deal with.

That's what I did too, and luckily we both had some good results.

Unfortunately, when I was younger, my past experiences were minimal when it came to an EE willing to discuss anything.

The handfull of EEs who did discuss stuff with me were more than happy to do so, and made sure I was completely "Trained/Educated" on the subject at hand (they did not forget how to be Professional Scientific Humans!).

The remainders are a "Third Class Of Gas-Poles", and generally they suck in a Logarithm-like fashion!
[Linked Image]

To Joe Tedesco:

PS: Scott35, I believe you can wear both hats and do very well all by yourself!

Thanks for the kind words, Joe! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I try to do the best possible with each hat on!

Scott35

edited more spelling blunders than I really should be!... time for englursh refresher!

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 07-24-2005).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
B
I agree that respect is indeed earned, what I meant was the respect we all should have for each other from the get-go. Too many times people in certain trades and professions are quick to judge someone in another line of work, not realizing that every trade, profession, job, etc has it's own challenges that could be equal or more than our own. Engineers are guilty of this as well, sometimes assuming electricians are not as intelligent as they are and will act condenscending towards them which causes a reaction as well on their part escalating the problem. Well, I guess that's the way it is, it's tough to alter human nature and our many, many faults. I don't believe engineers deserve any more respect than anyone else on this planet, respect of others should be by default in my book regardless of what they happen to do to put food on the table.

S
I hope that I can live by my own creed - To treat everyone with respect. Sometimes it is a very hard thing to do.

I do not know that I could live someone elses life or do their job better than they are. I try to remember that I do not know everything behind their actions or thinking.

I wonder sometimes as I see others work what were they thinking. I found that if I can talk to them and explain things, usually things improve greatly. I also try to point out things that were done right and well (everyone I have come to know thrives on praise, yet they all can see false praise). Most of all I try to remember to ask them where I can improve.

As I drive down the road and see what looks like poor judgement on the part of another driver I think back - How many times have I done something just as stupid? Then if I find myself getting upset with them I turn to making up homorous (to me at least) excusses for them.

Shane

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard