ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53702 07/03/05 08:24 PM
L
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy myself a new cordless drill. I think I'm going for a Panasonic - this will be the first Panasonic tool I've ever owned. I made my decision based on what I've heard from other tradesman and reviews I've read in magazines such as Fine Homebuilding and The Journal of Light Construction where the Panasonic blew away the competition in battery life and torque. There have also been positive reviews on this website as well. I getting a little tired of the yellow tools breaking down on me.

My debate is whether or not to get a hammer drill version or not. I can find no reviews specifically fot the hammer drill models, maybe because they have not been around for that long. Does anyone have feedback on the hammer drills? The model I'm looking at is a EY6950GQKW for about $275.

Also, where do you buy your tools? Online? Amazon? I can't find any place other than the web that carries Panasonic.

#53703 07/03/05 09:40 PM
D
I don't know of anyone that has a Panasonic.

I just bought a Makita 12V impact driver that came with a free 12V drill also at the box store. I haven't touched my 18V milwaukee drill since I bought this except for using my unibit. The impact has been great for the fence I've been building in my backyard too [Linked Image] Its so light and makes panels and driving screws such a breeze. You should check to make sure you can get an impact driver with any drill you go with.

My Milwaukee has an hammer drill setting on it, that is fine for the occasional one hole strap, but anything more than that I get my rotohammer out. Especially after I spent a day on the roof using the hammer drill setting and destroyed it. Everyone I've talked seems to share the same belief that hammer drill really tears up cordless drills.

I've bought online and specifically Amazon, never had a problem. But, I'm like a kid at christmas and I usually can't wait for the mail for my new toy.

Also, if you do have a problem its a bit of a pain to return it dealing with shipping. I bought a Rigid sawsall that died after 5 months, went to the box store and whined to the manager. He returned it and I upgraded to a milwaukee, I doubt online places would do that for you.

[This message has been edited by dmattox (edited 07-03-2005).]

#53704 07/03/05 10:19 PM
L
I swear by my 24-volt DeWalt hammer-drill, reciprocating saw, and circular saw. Powerful as corded tools and excellent battery life.

The drill will twist 7/8" augers through 6" of solid wood without complaint and drill a foot of concrete or brick easily in hammer-drill mode.

If there's AC available, I snap on a battery-eliminating power pack. The tools run even stronger, and no battery swapping/recharging.

If I need more power in masonry or concrete, or if I need to drive ground rods, I break out my Bosch rotary hammer. Arrgh, arrgh, arrgh!

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#53705 07/04/05 12:50 AM
D
Can you get a 24V combo kit Larry? I couldn't find one.

Did a quick look and it was $350 per item, so thats like $1050 for what you got? Yah, you better love it for that price [Linked Image]

#53706 07/04/05 01:01 AM
T
I got a Panasonic 12V drill/driver, and a 15.6V metal saw about 6 months to a year ago on the advice of Trumpy and SRScott. I liked them so much I got the 18V hammer drill/driver. The battery life is great. They may sit unused for a couple weeks and still have a good charge, although it's better for these batteries to be stored with a full charge. They have as much torque as my wrists can stand.

Beware though, the hammer drill, like any cordless hammer drill is a very lightweight version of what is really made to drill concrete and masonry...a corded rotary hammer. I really only use both of my Panasonic drills for driving screws and drilling metal.

As a final note to this commercial by Dave, I would replace them with Panasonics when the time comes.

I got them at a local hardware store, but they are available online. Do a Google search on "Panasonic cordless tools" and you should get a few places that sell them.

Dave

#53707 07/04/05 01:34 AM
Cat Servant
A couple of notes about Panasonic:

- The first "Milwaukee" cordless tools were actually Panasonics; and,

- Many companies that only offer one thing cordless, say, a cable connector crimper, base their tool on Panasonic batteries.

#53708 07/04/05 10:10 AM
T
I tried the Google search, and it wasn't very effective. Go to Panasonic.com and in the upper right is a search. Search for cordless tools and make your way to the tool you want. It'll have a place to find an online dealer.

Nothwest power tools, and mytoolstore are a couple I've visited.

Dave

#53709 07/04/05 12:40 PM
M
I have been using Panasonic cordless 15.6 v for at least 10 years. They are great. But I have managed to burn 2 motots out as I stuck a self feed 7/8" auger in both times (too lazy to set up a cord).

#53710 07/04/05 01:54 PM
E
e57 Offline
I don't own a Panasonic, but know poeple who do, and I have used thiers. Lots of torque, good batteries, etc. But as I have said in other posts about this type of thing, I don't believe that cordless hammer drills are engineered to take the punishment of regular use as a hammer-drill. Like-wise for regular use to drive ship-augers. To do so is just removing the life of the motors and batteries. So If you like spending money....

If you are going to do a whole house, or project, use the cord-less to set up temp power, so you can use a heavy duty tool indended for the purpose. I believe these cord-less drills are great for drilling small holes in thin stock, and driving screws, but not a replacement for a right-angle or hole hog, or heavy duty hammer drill.

However, Panasonic makes a great impact driver/drill combo that kicks butt! And if still available when I'm ready to get a new set up, I'll be getting that, if not superseded by something better. "EY6535GQW" When it come to driving screws all day, and putting together bolts on strut, nothing beats an impact wrench. This one comes with a chuck so you can still drill a few holes for your KO punch, great on large panel work.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#53711 07/04/05 06:35 PM
L
DM, I bought each of the tools separately. The drill was from a Sears outlet store as a recondition w/full warranty, complete kit (charger, one battery, case) for $300.

The recip saw was from HD on a close-out for around $200 as a display, complete kit except for case, which I got separately for $16 at a local Dewalt store, plus several blades.

The circular saw was a display also, "bare-bones" with no accessories at all, for $50. I now have a total of 6 batteries, 2 chargers, an d 2 corded power packs.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard