ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I searched UL.com and found a "sharp edge tester."
http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/catalog/testequippics1.html

The 2005 NEC includes some references concerning sharp edges too.

Have you ever cut your skin when working on older equipment where the original paint has worn away?

I have on cabinet covers, have scars too prove it.

What should be done about this, get everyone a "sharp edge tester?"

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
I already have 10, 5 on each hand. I seem to be able to find every sharp edge without even thinking I am getting close to them.

Greg Fretwell
G
I find more sharp edges on new equipment than due to wear on old stuff.

Seems that if I get within five feet of sheetmetal I start to bleed!

I
Cuts to hands have become such an issue that the company I work issues gloves and requires them to be worn for certain tasks.

While handling drop in light fixtures is one of the times the gloves must be on.

Most of our guys will cover the inside lip of panel tubs with a strip of electrical tape to cover the sharp edge.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
I thought most troffers were made by gilette anyway.

A
I wish they could smooth out the rough edges on mud rings. Seen some cut their hands on the lip of can lights. A flourescent closet light sliced one guy good.

T
T-Bar ceiling wires aren't exactly sharp edges, but they are what make me the most paraniod since they always seem to be at head level, going right for your eyes or the top of your head. Sharp pointy steel tie wire and mc that whips and flails are #2 on my list. I find that those blue palmed rubber gloves tame the sharp edges on sheetmetal, it is the lacerations and punctures- the wounds caused by scraping and brushing that cause me the most trouble

T
PS- how does that edge tester operate? I am not sure what issuing these to everyone or anyone would accomplish because at the end of the day, the work still has to get done, sharp edges or no.

D
I believe those are tools for getting UL listings. UL probably wont list you if your fixture has razor sharp edges, so thats a tool for them to tell you to round it off some.

G
We have found that the stainless steel switch and receptacle plates are extremely sharp. Just had a guy 2 months ago that sliced his index finger opening one of the packages by grabbing the cover and pulling the plastic off at an angle. The plate caught him right in the crease of his finger. He had to go to the hospital and get 6 stitches in his finger to get it to close up.

Seems he had done it that way since he started years ago. Funny how things will catch up with ya.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard