ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
spkjpr Offline OP
Just wondering how many or if any of you install phone, CATV, computer or Stereo pre-wires or offer it as an extra service on new or rewires? I seem to be seeing a lot of articles on this being a way to expand and also offer more services to the customer. After all we have most of the equipment and expertise to do it.

S
I actually specialize in this type of wiring. The only time I do any other type of wiring is for family and close friends. I have some agreements with several general contractors around here. The electricians they use do not know how to properly terminate CAT5 cable and do not have the equipment to test it. I also do fiber. I do alot of new homes with home offices. On the average 2,000 sq. ft. home, rough in takes 3 hours and trim takes 6. My profit on these is $400 - $500 each. I charge $900. This gets them about 13 boxes each installed with smurf tube (ENT) to a central location in the basement. Each will have 2 CAT5 runs, and one RG6. The coax gets put in at rough in and it tied to the smurf tube instead of in it so it does not take up room. This install also increases the appraisal of the home because it can be said to be network ready and fiber ready (the fiber is a quick pull through the ENT when and if its needed).

P
I do telephone wiring fairly regularly, and some TV distribution as well. But then I have an electronics/telecoms background anyway.

Telephone extensions are in quite big demand, especially as many builders still make no provision during construction whatsoever.

There's not a lot of call for big home theatre set-ups or computer networks in the rural area where I live, but I have done one or two of these for friends in the past.

Home intruder alarms are also becoming more popular as the crime spirals, even out in the comparatively safe boondocks.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-15-2001).]

Broom Pusher and
I do [and have done] LAN Cabling - CAT 3 UTP for Voice / Analog MODEM / Fax, CAT 5 UTP for Data [some Ethernet 802.3, most Tolken Ring 802.5].

Some Line Driver / Backbone stuff, some Security / CCTV stuff.

A small amount of "Thinnet" [10 base 2 or RG-59/U coax and triplex]. Never installed 10 base 5, but have seen a lot, repaired more and removed even more!

A few installs with the older IBM type 2 cabling.

Quite a bit of MATV / CATV stuff.

Also whole house audio, intercomm and low voltage control stuff.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Hello,

I just underwent some Fiber training over the Summer and chronicled my experience for CEE News August Issue.
(Read Story >> Here or Here )

It was very interesting.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard