ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Trumpy, quote was around $24,750 or so...

This will be direct bury cable in conduit, to avoid having the same problem creep up in 20 or 30 years. Plus, if it does fail in the future, easy to replace the conductors.

It will be a single cable (single phase) with full neutral, hopefully I'll be able to use al, but all of my paranoid advice from the locals has been to stick with what I quoted.

I say: They want their power back on at the price I quoted. How we acomplish this is entirely up to us...

No concrete over conduit, just magnetic tape.

I'll be getting the cable from my local supplier, I've been vetoed on any other option.

I'm done making decisions on this one now... Looks like I'm just along for the ride...

Thanks, everyone, for all your help..

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
The original cable IS copper.

Huhn...

Click Here for picture of X-former

Click Here for picture of swamp

Click Here for picture of creek

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-22-2005).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
B
Bob Offline
SP66
That installation looks like a piece of cake.

N
Virgil,
I am not sure how you have determined the conductor is copper but I want to make sure you realize that the concentric neutral conductors, that we can see in the pic, are always copper weather the phase conductor is copper or aluminum.

The cable in that pic looks to be bent a little sharp. When you replace it be sure to remember the cable bend radius in 12 times the diameter of the cable. Also, the elbow should not have any mechanical stress on it. (from the cable) Weight bearing on the primary bushing could cause leaks over time.

Nick et al, Oh... Thanks for the heads-up...

We're getting Cu, regardless, mainly because of lead-time and it IS what we quoted in the bid. Better not change things when involving the feds.

We're only averaging about 5 ft per hour (finished, closed in pipe with pull rope) due mainly to the compaction requirements and surface dressing.

Plus all the surprises... we've hit two pipes, one water line was trickling and a compression sleeve did the trick. That line will be replaced next fall, so not much worry on the longevity of the patch. We also hit an old line repair (new PVC) that scared the crap out of us, but that line was abandoned we found out after exhausting research.

We have to maintain a distance between existing sewage and water lines and we're doing pretty well to stay right on top of the old primary. Which, BTW, is absolutely aluminum... Old stuff with an exposed neutral conductor wrapped around the insulation of the center conductor (#2 Al). No wonder it went bad.

The primary side cable in the pic is new stuff spliced onto the old somewhere just before utility pen. I'ts nice to have a load break to disect and analyze before I try to do this... [Linked Image]

Any more pointers?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-25-2005).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard