ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigB Offline OP
Our city has a program where low income homeowners can get repairs which the city subsidizes. All repairs must comply with the IRC. For washing machine receptacles it states: "Readily accessible clothes washer receptacles shall be of special type not commonly used on most electric apparatuses, and in such cases a cord cap shall be provided to match said receptacle". My interpretation is I must use a twist lock if the receptacle is not located behind the machine, and below the top of the machine as well. Anyone familiar with this rule? Is it in the 02 NEC?
By the way, it says I must provide a matching cord cap but is doesn't say I must install it [Linked Image]

G
It could be argued that simply cutting off the cord cap off the washer causes it to lose it's listing.

I would get an opinion from the AHJ before I did any of this. Why are we letting the "commies" screw up our laundry circuits?
How is a "low income" person going to find a washer that will plug into that receptacle? I can see bare wires shoved in the holes.

Greg Fretwell
S
Why in the world would they have such a bizarre requirement? What do they hope to accomplish by this creation of an unecessary hazard?

(Note: See "Law of Unintended Consequences.)

E
e57 Offline
Does it say anywhere that it must be readily accessable? If I read that right, (I guess simul;ar to the way you did.) if it is "readily accessable", it needs to be of "special type" whatever that means? (pin and sleave?)

I would assume that for some reason they only want this outlet to be used solely for the washer. I do not totaly understand why.... But if it were just accessable, behind, or in a cabinet adjacent to the washer, a regular receptical could be used. Anyway, I dodn't think this originated out of the NEC.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
Probably intended to deter people from stealing/selling the machines for use elsewhere? After all, somebody determined enough to move the machine would NEVER figure out how to replace the cord cap with a standard type, right? [Linked Image]

Reminds me of the left-hand-threaded bulbs that NYC used in the subways to keep people from stealing them for home use....

J
JBD Offline
Changing the plug/connector should generally never be an issue.

For instance, UL takes no definitve position that any field modification would "void" a listing. According to their website:
"It is the responsibility of the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to determine the acceptability of the modification or if the modifications are significant enough to require one of UL's Field Engineering Services staff members to evaluate the modified product." http://www.ul.com/regulators/modification.cfm

P
After all, somebody determined enough to move the machine would NEVER figure out how to replace the cord cap with a standard type, right?

The people who dreamed up this weird requirement probably aren't capaable of doing it themselves, so they think nobody else can either. The bureaucratic mind works in a mysterious way.

What does IRC stand for, by the way?

A
Just a guess but maybe they are tring to detur the HO from plugging in anything elce to that outlet.

It's a joke when we need to use single dedicated outlets like for basement pumps. You come back after the HO moved in and they have a puwer strip(s) with the play room TV, games, cable box, internet boxes,etc pluged in.

See some of the same with laundry outlets.

A bit off track but has anyone seen the plugs on a new Bosh washer & gas drier? The cord caps are designed to be low profile with the cord comming off at 90 deg. The problem is the cord blocks the other opening on a duplex. The right solution would be 2 single outlets. But if you only have a duplex you out of luck. The appliance installers solution was ground addaptor that's made for 2 wire outlets. It spaced out the plug enough for the other one to clear. Too bad the installer never put the ground screw in the addapter.

Tom

G
International Residential Code

Again, why do we care what they do in Italy, France or Bangladesh?

The <NEC> "laundry" circuit is to serve the whole laundry, not just the washing machine. That is why it is required to be 20a. They are thinking of serving the iron too.

Greg Fretwell
H
BigB,

Which edition of the IRC are you quoting this code from? And which Article number?

Harold

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard