ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52339 05/25/05 07:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 69
nov Offline OP
Just wanted to know what you guys that are in areas that use both, like to install a new service with. PVC or just SEU cable.

#52340 05/25/05 09:39 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 687

#52341 05/25/05 09:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 267
Most of the electricians in my area use seu. Although there are some towns inspectors who enforce pvc risers. I have a question also, GRC or PVC Shc80 ??

#52342 05/26/05 06:36 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 335
Mostly SEC residentially. Pipe on commercial. PVC or RMC use splits about 50/50, just depends on the type of job. On the PVC we use sched 40 unless it's between the meter and the earth (for the lateral)then the utility mandates sched 80.

#52343 05/26/05 06:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 197
PVC looks so much better than a cable. Just looks like a better job.

#52344 05/26/05 07:12 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 706
Go Tom! RMC


#52345 05/26/05 03:08 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 361
I'd like to make them all RGC...but that is not always pratical. Next choice would be PVC...dead last is SE.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#52346 05/26/05 06:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
LK Offline
It may be a good idea to check, before using RMC, if your utility supplies the meter pan, that the pan neutral is not bonded to the meter enclosure, is seems the meter pans that some of the utility provides, had bonded neutrals, good for PVC, or service cable.

#52347 05/26/05 07:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 206
98% are done in PVC and 2% in SE. Also the SE has to be copper or I will not it. These numbers are strictly for residential services.
RMC for commercial & industrial services.


#52348 05/27/05 05:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
Why would the AHJ require PVC, if SEU meets the code of the NEC? That would of course unless there is a town ordinence or POCO rule then that might be a different story. Here in NJ most guys use SEU.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5