ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#52228 05/24/05 12:30 AM
C
I have a carhart pouch I use...to carry my smokes, phone, tape measure and writing instruments (pen, pencil, sharpie, crayon, whatever). I rarely put a tool in the "tool pouch".

To carry the tools for day/job I use a bucket...a simple empty bucket w/no "liner" with a million pockets on it. It's simple, easy to see in and grab stuff out of...and I can also sit on it if the job calls for it (like putting in devices...bucket full of devices, wirenuts, pigtails, etc).

Two tools are in my pants pocket 90% of the time...my pliers and a 10-in-1 screwdriver (both Klien).

The "tool belt" is for my "stuff", the bucket is for tools.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#52229 05/24/05 08:57 AM
R
I was always more like Sierra electrician...40 pounds of stuff around my waste at all times. I don't even change light bulbs without my belt on.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#52230 05/24/05 10:24 AM
K
Thanx a lot guys, I start school at Glouster County Votec "NJ" in the fall. They made a new program for in the afternoon insted of morning. There still working on the program, but should be done in time for fall classes. I've been reading a lot in here. You guys / girls are great. I love the advise you all give. I hope to be here for awile. Thanx

Kermit

#52231 05/24/05 06:03 PM
B
I have always worn a tool pouch since day 1 in the trade. I cannot stand to watch some of the younger guys running up and down the stairs or ladders for a driver or wirenuts etc. I have a pouch filled with misc parts for the day, phillips driver, small flat head, large flat head, torpedo level, linesmans, needle nose, key hole saw, tape measure, voltage testers, fluke volt pen tester, control screw driver, sharpie, pensil, side cutters and a flashlight. I think I got everything.

I know I will probably be regreting having so much weight on my hips later in life, but it sure saves alot of time going up and down the ladder.

#52232 05/24/05 06:45 PM
D
I've developed a "two pouch" style.

My leather "Rough-in" pouch has the following shtuff...

Klein Journeyman "2000 series" steel cutting dikes*
Klein 10-in-1 screwdriver
Elecytrician's hammer
Baby (8") stanley prybar
11" channel - locks
Tubing cutter
Klein (or Ideal) Conduit reaming screwdriver
Klein conduit fitting pliers
Swanson speed-square (6") with box k.o. spaces pre-marked,
Lenox utility knife
30' Tape Measure
China marker
A couple of carpenter's pencils.

This gets put on the double nail pouch belt that holds 8 & 16p nails, assorted conduit straps, 1 1/4" 'drywall' type screws, couplings and connectors.

Obviously, this is used for the "grunt" work... throwing and dropping sticks & hanging boxes.

My "service pouch" is my nice nylon rig with the following:

Klein Journeyman Lineman's pliers w/ tape pulling jaws
K J'man Needle nose pliers
K J'man 2000 dikes
K "wiring tool" (the narrow nose strippers w/crimpers & thread cutters)
K 10-in-1 screwdriver
K #2 & 1/4" slotted screwdrivers
GB Insulated #2 phillips
8" Torpedo Level
Greenlee GFCI/outlet tester
Greenlee volt-tic
Tubing cutter
Channel-locks
Vaco multi-nut driver (the telescoping sleeve one)
Carpenter's pencils
Rolls of tape

Ideal Vol-Con elite ("Wiggy" w/continuity & NCV test)

Clamp-on ammeter (Older... Amprobe/Sperry, perhaps?)

Like anything else, my tool pouches are in a state of continual development. As long as I keep getting different types of jobs, my choice of "at hand" tools will keep fluctuating too...

* The advantages of the "2000" series is that they will cut through steel nails, BX/Greenfield armor & can light hangers w/o developing nicks... so they'll cut regular Cu SOL until the cows come home. JMHO, but they're worth the extra $8-10 over the regular ones.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-24-2005).]

#52233 05/24/05 08:03 PM
N

#52234 05/25/05 02:59 AM
A
Just bought a new leather tool pouch (Ideal brand) that is flat on the bottom, has a handle and strap and has a lot more room than the hip carring kind. And your tools don't fall out all the time. Works great!

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
#52235 05/25/05 06:45 AM
J
I used a tool pouch for 15 years and started to have back problems. My doctor told me my spine was twisted because of wearing the tool belt every day. What I had done wrong was to have all my tools on one side and things like wire nuts tape and small parts on the other side. This made the tool belt heavier on one side which twisted my spine

#52236 05/25/05 12:59 PM
C
I bought a tool bag, made by Rigid, a few months ago. It's great. Large enough for just about everything, including 18 volt drill, hammer, hacksaw, brick chisels and pry bar. The only bad thing is that it weighs a ton but it is worth the trade off to save trips to the van when I need a tool.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard