ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52092 05/18/05 09:21 PM
N
Hello from South Dakota!!!

OK guys and gals, I have a problem that I have never run into before.

I have been given the "opportunity" to finish a large home that someone else had started.
In the great room of this LOG cabin there is a 20' vaulted ceiling with two remote controled paddle fans. At the end of the great room there is a loft with another remote paddle fan. All three of the fans were wired together from one switch.

Now the home owner would like them all switched seperate. So I tied the switch in hot, since it wasn't being used, I went to the loft paddle fan and changed the frequency of the fan and the remote so they would be different from the two in the great room.

To my total amazement the fan would not opperate at all. I tried a different frequency and still nothing. I put the frequency back where I started and all three fans came on at the same time.

Before I set up scaffolding in a totaly finished home (on hardwood floors) I would like to hear some input from the rest of you.

Is there a conflict from being on the same circuit? Are the signals cancelling each other out? What am I missing?

I have to go back on Friday, so any help would be welcome.

And thank you all in advance!!!!

Jon

[This message has been edited by njelectricmaster (edited 05-18-2005).]

Jon Niemeyer
J
Is it possible that the outputs to the other fans are tied to the output of the receiver? If you were to re-install the wall switch does the same thing happen?

D
Isn't it fustrating when you know it should work but it doesn't? [Linked Image]

One thing I can think of is are you trying both remotes at the same time? From past experience this will not work. I believe they are actually still on the same frequency, but the digit id codes are changed. So if you press both remotes at the same time they will conflict with each other.

N
Jim M. - I have the remotes that only have a black, white and ground. the fan has a quick connect on the other end.

dmattox - no I was not trying both remotes at the same time. (although I did try it after all other attempts failed).

HELP!!!!!
Jon

Jon Niemeyer
D
I assume you triple checked your new settings on the DIP switch package, I know I've screwed up setting dip switches many times in my lifetime.

Its quite possible that the connections on the dipswitch package are bad, allowing it to function with one particular code and not another. For example, if position 4 has a bad connection and you have it set to off, it would work fine. But if you then turned it on, it would still read to the processor as off.

T
I have to wonder the obvious...when the fan didn't work in the loft, did it still work with the other two with the remote control frequency back in its original position? If so, I'd also suspect the switches in the loft remote. Try some other combinations.

I'm also always a little suspicious finishing other electrical contractor's work.

Dave

E
I'm sure you did, but just to be certain, you did change the dip switch on the receiver and the transmiter of the loft fan? If the remotes all work in the factory settings you can just about rule out a bad remote. I would try again with a diferent code, and be simple since you only need 2 codes, just change one of the switches.

N
Just to clarify a few things,

I tried the loft fan in several diferent positions. And just to make sure I didn't have a stroke, I held the transmitter next to the reciever so I could see them at the same time.

The other two remotes still controlled the two fans in the great room, but the on in the loft was having a fit. I put the loft remote back where I started, and changed one of the other remotes, and again it was only the loft fan that didn't work.

Now I don't know if it makes any difference at all, but these are the fans that have jumpers at each of the dividers, not dip switches.

FRUSTRATED!!!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer

Link Copied to Clipboard