ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51956 05/16/05 05:53 PM
N
nov Offline OP
How is it even legal for this site to sell these panels. They have 15 amp double pole panels and 50 amp water proof panels.

http://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/Boxes.html

#51957 05/16/05 07:29 PM
M
As I understand it, FP panels had UL listing. And the comsumer product safety commission (or whatever it is called) never issued a recall.

These panels may have problems but they're still legal.

#51958 05/17/05 03:50 AM
E
e57 Offline
The fact that one of those has an NSN# lets me know where they got it. Probably perfectly preserved vintage stuff.

Federal Pacific is still around, and they have a story to tell.
http://www.federalpacific.com/

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FEDERAL PACIFIC ELECTRIC COMPANY, A MANUFACTURER OF PANEL BOXES, CIRCUIT BREAKERS AND RELATED ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS?
We are not Federal Pacific Electric Company!

• To our knowledge, the company that used to be Federal Pacific Electric Company no longer exists!

• We are not related to nor a successor of Federal Pacific Electric Company!

• We do not now nor have we ever manufactured, sold or distributed distribution boxes, panel boxes, circuit breakers or related products!

• We first began manufacturing dry-type transformers and medium voltage switchgear under the name Federal Pacific in 1987 and thereafter.

• We do not now nor have we ever used asbestos or PCBs in the transformers and switchgear that we manufacture and sell under our Federal Pacific Company banner!

Challenger Corporation acquired certain of the assets of the old Federal Pacific Electric Company from Reliance Electric circa 1986. Subsequent thereto, our company, Electro-Mechanical Corporation, purchased the assets of a dry-type transformer facility in Des Plaines, Illinois from Challenger. In conjunction with that purchase, we also acquired the right to use the name Federal Pacific in connection with our products.

The acquired assets were moved to Bristol, Virginia, and a facility was established where we began manufacturing and marketing our own dry-type transformers under the name Federal Pacific Transformer Company.

Shortly thereafter, we acquired a medium voltage switchgear line from an unrelated company in Alabama, and in the early 90’s began marketing medium voltage switchgear using the name Federal Pacific Company.

Other product lines, such as the Stab-Lok circuit breaker line and related panel box lines, were purchased from Challenger by other companies, totally unrelated to us. Those companies have continued to use the Federal Pacific name and logo on their products in their markets in this country.

Yet other companies use the name Federal Pacific to market their own electrical products in foreign countries around the world.

Don't ya think they'd do better with a different name?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#51959 05/17/05 04:03 PM
W
we also acquired the right to use the name Federal Pacific in connection with our products.

Why would they want to? Sounds like a penalty. [Linked Image]

#51960 05/17/05 07:50 PM
The "Stab-Loc" breakers are available from a company called American Breaker. THey changed the color scheme from the notorious 'orange' handles to black with white amperage rating.

Far as I know...the "Stab-Loc" cb's where the problem, the bolt-in's, disconnects and other items they made didn't have "problems".

John

John
#51961 05/18/05 10:44 PM
E
I thought you could still buy brand new Federal Pacific breakers and panels in Canada. Can anyone confirm this?

#51962 05/18/05 11:07 PM
U
I can. We install FP panels all the time. (not by choice [Linked Image] )
http://www.schneider-electric.ca/www/en/products/stab-lok/index.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard