ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#51793 05/10/05 09:22 PM
R
I was going off of memory for the Palm beach requirements, but I did find a link to the application, It looks like 6 years is what you need unless you went through apprenticeship. Here is a link
http://www.pbcgov.com/pzb/contractors/competency.pdf

[This message has been edited by Rich R (edited 05-10-2005).]

#51794 05/11/05 12:59 AM
G
Do they actually want to see a journeyman on the job?
Over on this coast (Lee) I wonder if the lead man was a roofer last week and the helper may still have roof tar in his hair.

Greg Fretwell
#51795 05/11/05 03:08 AM
R
A few years back...maybe 5 or 6 years, In Broward county (south of Palm beach county) you were required to have 1 Journeyman electrician for every 3 helpers on the job site. I'm sure other countys were or maybe still are like that.

In recent years they dropped that requirement and now the only license required is that of the qualifier of the company ( who is almost never on the job)

Don't get me wrong, a Journeymans card still means something, especially for service type company's and is used mostly as a base measurement to see if a potential employee knows what he is doing or not. Journeyman do make more per hour than an unlicensed electrician/helper does in most cases.

I agree, this is bad news for the trade and affects the pay scale in a big way. You have contractors hiring 15 unlicensed guys who barely speak english to wire up new houses, they are the lowest bidder for the contract since now the labor cost is cut in half and they get every job. Now the contractor who actually pays his employees a decent wage and has benefits has to look at a $300 profit or less on a week long job just to compete.

What is the contractors choices ? to reduce labor cost ( pay employees less) or try to find a different market where he can make more profit for the same amount of effort.

Bottom line is, Licensing although it is a pain to jump through all the hoops is what keeps our (employees and contractors)pay/profits up.

#51796 05/11/05 07:57 AM
L
Just curious, is Florida reciprocal with any other state. i.e. If you are a Master Electrician in MA, can you get a Master in FL without taking a test?

#51797 05/11/05 06:16 PM
K
Most contractors here are hiring mexican labor right off the boat. A guy I work with has it masters and his last employer fired him to hire 5 mexicans in his place...

#51798 05/11/05 10:54 PM
G
K that is what I see.
nesecito hablamous poquito espanol if you want to talk to a trade around here.
I think some of the GCs are starting to see the difference tho and hopefully they will drive for a little more qualified trades, even if it costs a few more bucks on the bid. How much does it cost to do it AGAIN? If your whole job is jammed up because someone missed a note on the plan two phases ago that low bid doesn't look so good.

Greg Fretwell
#51799 05/12/05 12:16 AM
H
seems like everywhere is different, here in colorado anyone can be a electrical contractor BUT will have to show proof that has a Master employed for them, and to get a master's lic. requires at least 5 years (rumored) as a journyman (and journeyman requiring at least 4 years), and also having letter from project eng's. saying ran jobs...I had 10 years in when I got my masters. and as for laborers even they have to be residental wireman's which requires documentation from employers. I would say the all electricians in colorado are skilled workers not put name on truck and go at it. from what I have seen for going to other states, my cousin moved to nebraska and they required him to retake there test there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard