ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51732 05/08/05 02:45 PM
M
What's the POCO's policy and how is it really handled around the country. If you need power disconnected from the main do you always call the utility to pull the meter or just do it yourself and just install it yourself when you're done.

If you do it yourself, have you ever gotten any heat for it?

A
We pull the meter. No problem with POCO.

If we scheduled a disconect with a weeks notice for 8:00 am they have show up at 1:30. Power Co could be managed better.

Tom

D
It pays to make a phone call, some POCOs here don't care, others will fine you if you pull the meter.

L
I always pay a visit to the site ahead of time, because the POCO sometimes installs locks on meters, probably for chronic non-payers and/or meter bypassers.

If it's a regular wire tag, I just cut them, and know that the POCO will replace it when they install the new service cable, and lateral or drop if needed.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
N
nov Offline
We pull the meters unless it is a PSE&G they have put barrel locks on just about all of there meter pans. In NJ we do the tie ins hot. So if I do an emergency service I will pull the meter install the new service and put the meter back into a new meter pan. I will then hang the cut tag back on the meter. Then we have four days to file a permit, but thats only if it was an emergency.

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the barrel locks?

B
"Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the barrel locks?"

A four inch grinder works pretty good.

N
For service panel replacement or other work requiring the meter to be pulled, we just cut the tag, turn off the main and pull the meter. A permit is required for the new permanent hook up. If we change out the mast for overhead we hook it back up hot. Underground we have to get the POCO out to unlock the transformer and drop the power. The POCO here is usually good about it if you call a couple of days in advance.

ed
L
The locking meter rings can be pulled with an allen wrench. You fiddle until you find just the right size allen to jam in the hole. Wiggle and twist and it pops right off. Just as easy to get back on. Just a matter of fiddling.

If a meter needs to come off I will pull it with or with out the POCO. I would much rather pay a fine then work on something that needs to be off for safety. Everywhere I've worked in South and North California has issues with getting the POCO out in a reasonable amount of time. So I say screw them.

R
Guys, please be careful and safe when doing this. The 2005 expanded the requirement for arc flash protection warnings (110.16) to meter socket enclosures because of the accidents occuring in feild with this practice.

Pleae be safe

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
D
ComEd (our PoCo) only requires a call when the meter has a lock ring. Meters and cutting drops are up to us. Not sure what the "official" policy on reconnection is - the rep for my area asked me if I was comfortable connecting - told her yes - she told me to use a bug and they'd crimp it later if needed. She said a crew could come out, but as Tom (Active1) said, "somedtime Wednesday" isn't a real good time management strategy.

Otherwise, we notify as needed, and then call for re-connect / new drop for upgrade once inspected and passed by AHJ.

BTW - FR coat, hard hat w/ faceshield and Class 1 gloves (fiberglass ladder if "working up").

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard