ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5144 11/06/01 05:53 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Virgil ('66) mentioned Wyoming Co., WV a while back.
I was browsing realty listings and came across an 1100 sq. ft. rancher built 1950 in a small place called Glen Rogers.
On the market at just $10,100 and looks pretty good from the outside! Any of you W. Va. folks know this place?

I guess there are some bargains to be had in the backwoods of West Virginia. Wish my green card was still valid. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-06-2001).]

#5145 11/06/01 07:13 PM
S
10K ? you can't buy a doghouse for that in VT.

Paul,
reapply....

"Our forefathers got kicked out of every decent country in the world"

Bill Murray

[Linked Image]

#5146 11/06/01 09:46 PM
Yeah, land and homes can be found reasonably cheap here, but as Tom pointed out once, watch that they don't try to sell you "both sides" of an acre! And some places have to have sunlight piped in!

In all seriousness, all deeds say, for instance, "5.7 acres, more or less"!

I'm not real familiar with Wyoming County, but real estate can also be surprisingly high in places here in Greenbrier County...

The $500,000 "modular" homes at the Greenbrier Resort come to mind...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#5147 11/07/01 05:18 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I guess $10,000 is about as cheap as you can get, but the site had several more places in the sub-$30,000 category.
http://www.oldcolonybeckley.com

They look real attractive coming from England where prices have just gotten silly in recent years. On the whole I find that American neighborhoods and homes are much nicer than here anyway.

I couldn't find Glen Rogers in my Rand-McNally atlas. I had to dig out a more detailed state tourist map. Right at the end of a no-outlet county route just inside the county line bordering Raleigh Co.
Sparky:
I thought about re-applying, but you wouldn't believe how complex it is. When I was offered the job in Nebraska it took over 12 months to get the paperwork sorted out and the visa issued. As I'd want to just work self-employed now, I don't think I'd get my application approved anyway.

I could just keep renewing a 6-month visa I suppose, but having to visit Canada twice a year to re-apply with no guarantee that after a couple of years an application might not be rejected is a bit indefinite (and expensive).

The stupid thing is that I could return anytime I wanted if I'd just set foot on U.S. soil once a year - Even if it was just arrive at JFK Airport and get the next 'plane back! The INS rules can be strange....

I'm actually working on looking for somewhere over in France at the moment. Much more affordable property than the U.K. and a more relaxed pace of life. I still like the sound of WV though!

I see to have rambled on... Sorry folks!

#5148 11/07/01 07:16 AM
S
hmmmm,
meanwhile we'll take in anyone who could give a $%^& about learnin' english..

go figure

#5149 11/07/01 06:23 PM
Tom Offline
Paul,

Raleigh & Wyoming counties are in the tough part of WV. Take a look at your map & you'll find that Logan, Boone & Mingo Counties are to the West.

Logan is really a tough place, best to keep your mouth shut & your eyes open, including the ones in the back of your head.

Mingo county is famous because of the town of Matewan. Matewan is where the mine wars turned deadly when Sheriff Sid Hatfield plugged a couple of Baldwin-Phelps detectives. I also believe that in Mingo county you'll find the Tug River, which is the area that the Hatfield & McCoy feud took place.

I've worked in those areas & the people will treat you well, just don't cross them.

Anyhow, back in '78, I paid $21,000 for my house & 6 acres, more or less.

I just bought a new work van, I paid more for it than I did for my house. [Linked Image]

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 11-07-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#5150 11/07/01 07:38 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Fascinating stuff, Tom - Thaanks. How long ago was all this feuding over the mines?

#5151 11/07/01 07:49 PM
Go here for a little more history.

Rent the movie, "Matewan" with James Earl Jones. (Trivia: the singer in my band, Dave Lynch, was an extra in the movie)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#5152 11/08/01 05:21 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Wow! Not exactly a sleepy area where nothing much ever happened then.
American history is always colorful. Thanks for the link Virgil.

There was a BBC documentary series a year or so ago visiting different parts of America. One was actually around Iaeger in McDowell Co.

It was supposedly a serious look at life there, but to me it seemed more like a "Let's make fun of the local rednecks" appoach.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-08-2001).]

#5153 11/08/01 06:28 PM
Tom Offline
Jeezzz, if I could just find a tape of Jesco White "The Dancing Outlaw" & let Paul see it, I think he'd really have a much lower opinion of us.

Jesco lives down in Boone County on Prenter Road, which is just outside of Seth. Been past that road many times, never been tempted to turn down it though. thats an area where you will find some Aunt Mom's & Uncle Dad's.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 11-08-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard