ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
We must have some lax inspectors here or you have some stringent ones. All that is required from us is to drive one ground rod and # 6 bare (exposed) to the disconnect or panel (never the meter socket) is all that is needed on a 200 amp service.

C
Wirewrestler, I'm having trouble picturing your intallation.

running the GEC from the GE, through the neutral lug "bullseye", then through the grounding bushing

What type of enclosure is the neutral lug bullseye in?

W
In answer to your question, here in northern Illinois we call the small or auxillary lug on the side of the neutral lug in the meter socket the "bullseye". (It may be that other power companys don't require this lug on meter sockets, I don't know.) Most jurisdictions where I work require that the Grounding Electrode Conductor be bonded to the neutral conductor at that point and no other and, since it must be continous, that requires that the GEC be looped up through this lug. From that connection in the meter socket the neutral and ground never meet. What this inspector didn't like was that the GEC I used was bare and he thought that it too close to the ungrounded conductors. What puzzles me is that everywhere else I work inspectors demand that the GEC be routed as I described. I hope that this helps answer your question.

S
sam Offline
Duke power made it a requirement to drive ground rod below grade, also, no ifs,ands,buts
about it. a service man fell off of a ladder making the service hot ,the ladder fell and man had accident on the rod . think he lost one of his eyes and received stitches. Lost Time Accident. sounds like a good idea to go below grade .

C
WR, thats why i was confused. here on the left coast the utilities don't let me put anything in the meter can except the ugc's and gc. i land the gec in the enclosure with the main service disconnect on the gc bar, then run the gec unspliced either exposed on, or inside the wall, without conduit usually, to the ufer clamp or looped through the first g-rod clamp to the second g-rod clamp. i have been told that i can run 2 separate unspliced gec's, one to each of the 2 g-rods, instead of using one gec looped through to both, but don't know if that's true ?

S
In two services I just did the inspector made me remove the single gec that was looped through the first rod and then to the second, and put in two gecs (one to each rod).

What is the right way? Me and the inspector were both reading the same code and both thinking we were right in the way it was supposed to be done.

C
still learning, but this is what i understood, 250-64(c) says the gec shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint.
250-52 and 250-58 calls it "bonding" between the two electode rods, it says ge's "that are effectively bonded together" are considered a single ge system, but i don't see anything that specifies the route between two rods. looks like it could go from rod to rod directly, or from rod to panel bus to rod indirectly like your inspector wanted. but it does seem to imply bonding from rod to rod, and it also states specifically, and other places implies, that it is a "single" gec, thats why i loop through one to the next. they ought to use pictures, it wouldn't take much, theres not that many ways it can be done.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard