ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
I did a service last week (hadn't done one in 8 years prior) I had pounded in a ground rod by the meter and ran a ground wire into the meter. I was told to come back and run the wire inside a pipe and to pound the ground wire below grade.

Do you guys normally do this? I hope it doesn't sound like an amateur question.

R
If the grounding electrode conductor is #4 or smaller, it may require protection. See 250-64(b). If the ground rod was an 8' rod, it must be completely below grade. See 250-52(c). If you didn't drive 2 rods or use a ground resistance tester to verify compliance with 250-56, the inspector should have also told you to add a second ground rod.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
B
electricj:
We are required to run all the grounding conducctors to the disconnect.
For 100 amp service I use a no. 6 bare copper and all it has to do is follow the contour of the building. In fact for any ground rod use no.6, this is in the code.
To the water line thats different No.6 for 100 and 150 amp service and No.4 for a 200 amp service, etc
And of course bury the ground rods spaced at least 6 feet apart.

S
Electricj, don't feel bad my inspector gigged me on that too. Just all at once he got real picky on the rod being below grade. Also I use PVC conduit so there is no need to bond the wire to the conduit. It all happened after he came back from a seminar on grounding.

E
spkjpr - Should I just run the pvc out of the meter and then straight into the earth and then let the wire stay underground until it connects to the ground rod? Or would I need to run the pvc (underground) right up to the ground rod?

Thanks for all the replies -- I guess in the future I should also pound down 2 ground rods.

S
Electricj, I run the conduit to ground level out of the meter base then run the ground wire under the soil to the rod. This seems to be accepted here and protects and hides the ground wire. Hope this helps. We are also required to put in 2 ground rods no closer than 6 ft and they must be bonded together.

When you drive your rods below grade, be sure to use connectors with "DB" (direct burial) ratings, or use exothermic welding.

F
It's always a good idea to install two ground rods. It's the maximum number required for a service. However, is it a<b> NEC</b> requirement if only one has a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less? I am aware that a Power Company can mandate two.

R
Frank,
250-56 requires a second rod if the first one is ovr 25 ohms.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
W
I was red tagged recently in a jurisdiction where I don't work often for running the GEC (bare #6 copper)from the GE, through the neutral lug "bullseye", then through the grounding bushing on the 1 1/4" pipe, and then on into the panel with the service conductors, to the ground bar. His beef was that the bare copper was too close to live lugs. He required me to pull the GEC out of the neutral lug and run an insulated #6 jumper from the grounding bushing to the neutral lug "bullseye". Everywhere else that I work inspectors demand that the GEC be unbroken and continous per code. What do you think. Comments will be appreciated. I have been a long time reader and I enjoy everyone's comments. This is my first reply. I am going to try to participate often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard