ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#49476 03/13/05 09:48 PM
H
I agree with Trumpy. If the siding below the shutter is not melted and the shutter is melted, I think we can rule out heat from inside the building. So we rule out a short to ground. Do you have access to an infrared thermometer....the kind you point at the wall? You could take some readings of the different parts of the wall at different times of the day. I still think it is being caused by an external source.

#49477 03/14/05 12:27 AM
F
Having handled a few general contracting jobs over the years, my resume goes back before vinyl siding but that would be another story. I would suggest that you cantact the siding manufacturer and get them involved.

I would bet the problem lies with a faulty installation of the siding / insulation board. The foil backed insulation should not be installed with the foil facing out when applied under vinyl siding. The foil should only be installed facing out under aluminum siding (or steel if it is still even available).

What the problem is, is the foil is reflecting the heat to the back of the siding. Vinyl siding will expand much more than aluminum siding. Even though you are in the clutches of winter, the direct rays of the afternoon sun will heat the wall enough to cause this.

Another thing, 1" nails may not be long enough given the situation you've stated if the asphalt siding is "insul-brick" or some like material, these materials are typically 3/4" to 1" thick. Due to the expansion of vinyl siding, you need to leave the nails loose, 1/4" or so and it is also important to nail in the center of the slots to prevent the siding from binding and causing the problem you're experiencing. Nails in the 2" range are more appropriate to insure adequate bite into the original wood siding.

I hope this helps.
FRANK

#49478 03/14/05 08:40 PM
S
I did not know the foil side should face in towards the house. The contractor did not tell me about this. The guy who sold the siding to the contractor called me today and said the company that made the siding is sending me somthing to fill out, I will let them know that the insulation was put up wrong. I was guessing on the size of the nails after looking at one I would have to say they are 2 inch, but do not belive the nails could hit a line. I do not have accsess to any hi tech equipment inferred or heat sensing but that would be a good idear. I will let every one know what the final out come will fianally be, Thanks for all the opinions and info.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard