ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
250.30 (4) "the grounding electrode shall be as near as practicable to and preferably in the same area as the grounding electrode conductor connection to the system."

SYSTEM, are they talken electrical system or grounding system?
I like to drive rods at whare the water enters the house because thats what your backing up any way the water pipe and you got to pull the grounding electrode conductor their any way so why not just keep goen another 15' or so and hit a couple rods right

E
So what is the question?
SYSTEM, are they talken electrical system or grounding system?
I like to drive rods at whare the water enters the house because thats what your backing up any way the water pipe and you got to pull the grounding electrode conductor their any way so why not just keep goen another 15' or so and hit a couple rods right

Or are you entering the worlds longest sentence contest? [Linked Image]

R
250.30 rarely applies to dwelling unit installations. It applies to separately serived systems(SDS) and the grounding electrode for the SDS should be as close as possible to the SDS.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
B
Ya that sentince took the gold.
and i should be looken closer at the article titles befor i just start readen any old thing.

So the Question was really about whare to put the ground rods. Is one place beter then a nother?

L
LK Offline
Quote:
"I like to drive rods at whare the water enters the house"

I hope you have the area marked out before you drive your rods, we try to keep our distance from utility lines, here in New Jersey if we dig or drive ground rods, we have to notify the utility dig service, or the fines can be stiff.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 02-21-2005).]

R
Ok lets say You do drive them next to the water main then for some reason in a couple of years [water line break] Idot on backhoe has no clue ground rods are there in my opinon keep them next to the servie drop.....

H
I try to look for anything underground before I drive the ground rods. Like sewer pipes, oil/gas lines, downspouts, etc. As LV said, here in NJ we also are suppose to call for a mark out of utility lines before we dig anything. A friend of mine drove a rod right through the neighbors waste pipe. Had to dig up pipe, and fix pipe. Lost all profit on that job.

E
A friend of mine drove a rod right through the neighbors waste pipe
That stinks. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard