ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48810 02/20/05 11:35 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
I am doing an upgrade at a residence that was bought by a realtor for fixup and resale. When I got to the jobsite to start, I discovered they had gutted the entire house, walls, wiring, gas lines, heating and cooling, plumbing etc. The remodeling is to be done by an unlicensed contractor with a crew of 3. No permits were obtained. The unlicensed contractor will reinstall all plumbing and electrical inside the house. The only reason they had me do the upgrade was because they knew it had to be done by a licensed contractor and a permit had to be obtained. Now I am kind of worried about what kind of wiring they will do and if I could be held liable for any of their mess since I am doing the upgrade. Not to mention what the inspector will say when he comes to inspect my work, it's obvious what is going on.
I'm debating what do do, if anything. I am wishing I would have walked away from the start, but I didn't know they had ripped out the interior wiring till I had the old service demoed.
Anyone have this happen before? One thing I will do for sure, take a photo of my finished work before they add anything to my panel.

[This message has been edited by BigB (edited 02-20-2005).]

#48811 02/21/05 12:40 AM
G
Just make it clear to the inspector when he looks at your work that you are done there and they have someone else taking over. I'm sure he will start asking them for permits.

They did make a mistake not getting the upgrade "finaled" before they started the other work but cheaters are not supposed to win.

Greg Fretwell
#48812 02/21/05 12:50 AM
D
It's CYA time, BigB! You might consider writing a letter to the head of the building department. If you say something like, "The service was installed by BigB Electric, with the interior wiring completed by others...BigB Electric is not responsible for electrical installations by others." They'll get the idea. If you really want to cover yourself good, send it certified with receipt. It's always nice to have a letter like this in your file if you need it.

Dave

#48813 02/21/05 07:44 AM
W
Personally, I think you should wait until you get paid before calling local AHJ and saying I did the service and all other work was done by someone else. Taking Pics is a good idea also

#48814 02/21/05 09:37 AM
E
If you get a permit that specifies the work you're doing and get it inspected you should be all set.

#48815 02/21/05 04:15 PM
C
I have to agree with Scott here. A permit for the "service only" should cover you. Make sure it is worded that way and inspected. Here in Ma permits can be very detailed.
Al

#48816 02/21/05 06:00 PM
S
BigB add notes to your bid:
>Any and all work atached to the proposed work by a unlicenced contractor will void all warranties.
>All warranties and laibility are proposed work only.
>This contractor assumes no Liability or Warranty for work other than proposed above.

You could call for a preinspection

Just a couple of ideas.

Rob

#48817 02/21/05 06:07 PM
C
Absolutely, give the inspectors a headsup...you're on the same team. There's no reason to walk away, this situation happens all the time with investment properties. The bad guys don't have to know it came from you, around here the usual tipoff is a 20 yard dumpster parked in the driveway. Besides, you may be doing the future homeowners and their children a big, big favor.

#48818 02/21/05 08:22 PM
E
>Any and all work atached to the proposed work by a unlicenced contractor will void all warranties.
>All warranties and laibility are proposed work only.
>This contractor assumes no Liability or Warranty for work other than proposed above.
I have a feeling that they would not really care otherwise they would be using licensed and isured guys with proper permits.
I wouldn't even give it another thought as long as my permit specified I was doing the service only and I got my inspection. I think the inspector will figure out the rest.

#48819 02/21/05 08:35 PM
S
Scott
I use similar verbage in my quotes. Its intended for the home owner, so they don't scab stuff in that should be an extra to contract.
The loss of thier warranty scares the heck out of them.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard