ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
I had to reply to this so i cut and copied my post from a prior such topic;

NJ Wireman
Member posted 10-28-2004 08:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this post and had no choice but to reply. I have to tell you i use to be a die hard dewalt fan, how ever now its roybi for me!! i got sick and tired of replacing batteries in my dewalt at some crazy cost. I bought the ryobi set a few years back approx 2 maybe 3 years ago. It came with the saws all, reg drill, flashlight, cir. saw a charger and 2 batteries. Every one laughed at first now they all own them. I just this past month replaced my org. 2 batteries. Thats pretty good in my eyes. The other thing you must consider is now roybi has the new line where they sell each peice by its self with out a battery or charger. Thats is great when it does come time to replacea peice. I also just bought the hammerdrill (3speed) its is much better then there org. 2 speed and flash light kit. so for half the cost of one dewalt kit i now own;
1 reg drill
1 3 speed hammer drill
2 chargers
4 batteries 6 if you include my old ones
1 saws all
1 cir. saw
if you can get all that from dewalt for the cost i paid tell me where but until then im all over roybi!!!!!!!! And i just got the vacuam on sale for $20. at the orange store. well sorry so long winded but i must speak on this topic twice a week at work. best of luck!

S
Actually.... the 3 speeds on the DeWalts is a brilliant idea. What's the number one complaint of cordless drill owners? Battery run time. Driving screws, 1st gear for torque and low rpm. For virtually all non-hammer drilling, 2nd gear works fine and makes sure you don't burn out your bits by running them at excess rpm. For hammerdrilling, where power and bpms are most important, you use ultra powerful 3rd gear.

If during the course of the day, your work consists of straight drilling (no hammer), why shorten the run time of the battery by operating in 3rd hi-rpm gear, when 2nd works great?

R
I prefer Milwaukee, and I see that thay have a 1-hour charger for the truck's cigarette lighter. Does anyone have one?
I think it's a good idea, and I will probably buy one.
I believe that an auto battery is typically 70 amp-hours.
This charger would be OK to run without draining the battery, but I'm going to look at the wattage of my 120 volt charger to be sure.

N
The one thing nobody has mentioned is,that the battery is reversible on the Milwaukee models for tight areas,that feature has come in handy a few times.

D
One thing I found out, don’t plug your chargers into an inverter. The waveform isn't a true sinusoidal wave and the manufactures say it will damage the batteries. I found that out after I tried to make a cheap car charger [Linked Image]

R
Well, my Milwaukee 120 volt charger's input is 900 mA. At 12 volts that would be 9 amps.
I just ordered the charger for $70.00
I think that an hours worth of charging shouldn't affect my truck's battery.

Any thoughts?

D
Your truck battery would be fine, but according to the manufacture of my inverter it will damage cordless batteries.

That is only if you are using an inverter then a normal 120V Charger. If you are using a manufactures 12V car charger then it better not damage its own batteries.

[This message has been edited by dmattox (edited 02-26-2005).]

...Wow,what a thread!! I'm more confused now than I ever was..Having been a devoted DeWalt fan for some years now,my beloved 18 volt hammer-drill went kaput,and I needed a replacement pronto,and a buddy o' mine swore by his Milwaukee,T-handle 18v. hammer-drill,he played it up so much,I had to get one,..so I did,and found out (too late) that the darned thing was made in Czech Republic..a real bummer for me,as I thought Milwaukee was the last to "sell out" to the overseas markets and cease making stuff in the USA.I've always bought their corded drills,sawzalls,..etc.I really think it's a sorry state of affairs when a great American company jumps in bed with an inferior,cheap,overseas company instead of keeping jobs over here and making quality and reputation a #1 priority over profit...Milwaukee joined the ranks (in my opinion)with "loser" companies like Black and Decker,and Ryobi,..to name a few,..and I expect their quality to suffer as well..
Disgusted...
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
R
I've always been a Milwaukee fan.
However, they do need to redesign their battery retention/release system. I get pretty ticked off when trying to remove the battery from the tool and it just won't come out.
Another heads-up... I don't know why, but my Milwaukee cordless drills don't have a bit storage feature on the unit. A real oversight in my opinion.
Maybe they have it on the newer drills, but mine is only 2 years old.

2000xp8 Offline OP
Well,
Just an update to my milwaukee combo kit.
So far i really like it.

The cordless drill/hammer is extremely powerful and fast, i haven't even had to use the second battery yet, the new battery time seems excellent.

I know this is not a real strong point in purchasing power tools, but i love the milwaukee bag, you can throw all your drill/saw items or accessories in it,there's plenty of room, not like a plastic molded case where everything you added falls out when you open it. It takes up much less room in the van, and doesn't fly all over the place if you make a sudden stop or hard corner.

Sliding the battery off is going to take a bit getting used to, but really no big deal, they don't seem to get stuck either (maybe that happens after it gets a bit older).
I don't remember seeing a bit storage spot on it either.

[This message has been edited by 2000xp8 (edited 02-26-2005).]

NJ licensed electrician
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard