ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
I own bosch and love them. Tough as nails and the customer service is unmatched. I had a battery go bad. Called bosch they red labeled a new one to me. next morning woke up there was my new battery. The other great thing is no one else has bosch so lost baeries is not an issue. Im looking into the v28 products by milwaukee.

T
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the torque numbers advertised by each manufacture. Milwaukee claims 495in/lbs while all the other brands (in the 18 and 19 volt range) only claim 400-450.

FYI, one of the large, local electrical supply outlets claim that the Bosch cordless drills get returned to them for repair FAR more often than any other brand.

S
triple.....check your facts...

the specs for the Dewalt 18V is 500 in/lbs. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=8258

my current favourite tool...the Dewalt impact driver has 1650 in/lbs of torque!! http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6344

I know opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one, but from our experience we choose Dewalt over all the other brands. Whether they are "the best", is irrelevant. The DeWalt is what is best for us.

edited message here :

The high acclaim is for DeWalt CORDLESS only. Not necessarily ALL DeWalt tools. Its well known that DeWalt spends more on R&D on Cordless tools than any other manufacturer and it shows in their products.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 02-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 02-22-2005).]

D
I've got Panasonic, Joey D, and love them so far (4 months?). Very good batteries and power. If by plastic anchors you mean hammer drilling concrete or block...forget about cordless or hammer drills. Get a corded rotary hammer and you'll never go back.

Dave

T
Sandro, Dewalt's low speed (which is where max torque is achieved) is only 450rpm while Milwaukee's is 500. This means that Dewault must "give-up" approx. 10% of its speed to achieve an approx. 1% increase in torque. The fact is (assuming the manufacturer's claimed numbers are correct) the Milwaukee's motor is more powerful. You are essentially correct though. I didn't realize any manufacture advertised more that 495in/lbs.

Milwaukee or who?

BTW, I've been through jobsites with everything from "La RAZA" (a local station) to Classical music (& everything in between) playing...all at once at top volume on those stupid job site radios.

If you're by yourself, that's one thing, more volume to you, but after awhile the mish-mash makes me want to take a Ramset to the radios.

Well, you said "What does everybody think" [Linked Image]

S
Triple...

I believe this diffence will go virtually unnoticed in the real world.

As a side point, I will guess what the DeWalt (cordless Hammer version) gives in low speed makes up in high speed as it spins at a higher rpm and has more bpm's then comparable Milwaukee.

T
I have never used a cordless hammerdrill other than a Milwaukee. I'm not real impressed with the Mil hammer so Dewault's version could very well be much better for all I know. As far as top speed is concerned, I have never felt the need for the chuck of a multispeed, cordless drill to turn faster. It is already too easy to strip-out, slip off, or burn up screws, holesaws, etc. What type of operation would you wish-for/require greater speed? Having three speeds instead of two on a cordless drill seems gimmicky to me.

J
Dave, I use a TE6 for any hammer drilling unless it's 1 or 2. I have a Hilti 18v cordless that is a great tool. I am not sure it's any better than other brands but I was on a Hilti craving for a bit.
Hilti does make a 36v cordless that is amazing with the amount of tq it has.

2000xp8 Offline OP
Well, the hatchet does seem a bit on the slow side, not weak, just slow. I cut some plywood with it.
Cuts pretty well with a sharp blade, i haven't had any real work to do with the Milwaukee set i bought right after i made this post, but i have done some destruction with the tools, for the hell of it.

The hammer drill is pretty damn heavy, this is not a switch and plug cordless drill.
It will be 10-12 weeks before i get my free radio though, that sucks.

[This message has been edited by 2000xp8 (edited 02-22-2005).]

NJ licensed electrician
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard