ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#48591 02/16/05 08:18 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Not willing to sound too gloomy here, but have you guys got a Civil Defence contingency plan in place?.
Might not be an Earthquake or a Tsunami.
Volcano's can turn up in strange places.
But hopefully you guys are forward thinking and have made plans.
Hollywood can have all the special effects, but at the end of the day, in a disaster, it's up to you to help your family to survive.

#48592 02/16/05 12:26 PM
P
Well, I don't know what H.M. Government is actually doing to protect us, but they spent a lot of taxpayers' money distributing the "Preparing for Emergencies" booklet to every household in the country last year.

You can read it online here (try not to fall asleep):

http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk

Actually the following spoof website of the booklet is far more entertaining and probably much nearer the truth: [Linked Image]

http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-16-2005).]

#48593 02/16/05 01:33 PM
G
I don't know if it is a CD plan but I do have a propane fridge, cooking facillities and a way to supply water without the utility power. Toss in a few inverters for electronics and fossil lighting, we will survive.
I don't expect the end of the world but we did have 3 hurricanes hit us last summer in SW Fla.

Greg Fretwell
#48594 02/16/05 01:50 PM
H
Ha! We are in the "shadow" of a nuke plant just north of New York City on the river. Lots of people think that it is the perfect terrorist target. Built in the 60's way before anybody even thought about terrorism. So no hardening, and complete with accessible spent fuel rod pools etc. The private owners of course have spent $$$ on public relations and propaganda so people won't be afraid but mainly to protect their shareholders. Somehow I don't find them credible since they only recently allowed their "security" to carry arms.

To answer your question, my CD plan would include a full tank of gas in the car. [Linked Image]

-Hal

#48595 02/16/05 02:23 PM
C
Personally (as in the household), we have candles and the booster pack (with a 12V flourescent lamp). We have a wood burning stove for heat, and the propane BBQ. Also have a battery radio on hand.

Municipally, we do have an emergency preparedness team, primarily geared towards a nuclear event at the somewhat nearby plant.

#48596 02/16/05 08:26 PM
S
We have stores of food and water, and a propane stove to cook it on. Also, Luxeon flashlights and lithium batteries (15-year storage life) to run them.

#48597 02/17/05 12:19 AM
P
Hal
I am in Westchester County just 15 or so miles south of the Plant. Where are you located?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#48598 02/17/05 12:35 AM
D
As a resident of the eastern part of the infamous "Tornado Alley", we're set for most natural disasters, Spring, Summer or Winter. Watched two twisters bounce by last year. We're accomplished primitive campers, and I'm somewhat of a self-sufficient type, so we're in fairly good shape without utilities.
But, I also live less than 50 miles (downwind) from one of the largest VX nerve gas depositories in the world. Luckily, the security there is beyond tight, so I'm not very concerned. I'm not sure what I could do about that anyways, besides run far away if I get word soon enough.

#48599 02/19/05 05:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hal,
To answer your question, my CD plan would include a full tank of gas in the car.
All jokes aside, that's not such a silly idea, considering that anytime people are warned to evacuate a particular area, the Gas station, is usually the first place they end up, along with everyone else, in a queue.

Wow Paul,
There is a distinct difference between them two sites that you posted above!.
The second one is funnier than the first. [Linked Image]

{Message edited for a spelling error or two}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-19-2005).]

#48600 02/19/05 12:56 PM
G
Since I work at the Pentagon, I figure I'll MAYBE be the first to know. I like the ductbank job I'm overseeing..... gives me a place to get REAL low. [Linked Image]

Seriously, I think everyone should have a plan, and yes, I do. My family thinks I'm nuts but I put stuff in their cars... lights, radios, matches, candles, radios, food... etc, etc, so they could walk out if necessary.

I've always been a real stickler for fuel in tanks, and raise cain at them for less than 1/2 tank.

Gloomy, Trumpy???? Never been a Boy Scout (raised on a big farm, too much to do) but preparation IN ALL THINGS can be the difference between success/failure or Life/death and it's always been just plain normal to me.

I get funny looks on those RARE occasions when I have to wear tie coat etc and I'm the only one in the room with a mag lite and leatherman on my belt. I have noticed on several occasions when an emergency occurred who they look at all of a sudden.

Let's face it, it may come from years in construction, I always had a plan in case the job completely fell apart, guess it's just normal to me nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard